Vivian Alderete Moreno took the following steps to make her adorable piggy banks out of old sweaters:
1. Manipulate and inflate a balloon to the desired shape
2. Shape and harden with paste made from flour and water and newspaper as the typical mexican piñata
3. Finally decorate it with unwoven old sweater threads
Elena Bescós Ciprián made this fetching jellyfish-shaped lamp out of all recycled materials from her house. The body of the lamp is made out of small plastic cups, and plastic taps, parts of egg cartons, and other miscellaneous plastic pieces were used for the tail.
Alin Tocmacov was about to throw away the packaging from his MacBook, when he realized that he could turn the beautifully patterned styrofoam packaging in to the perfect book cover for his portfolio. He then cut the recycled packaging to fit the back of the …
This lamp by Basurata Chan is made from discarded foam core board and feathers. Chan used a cutter to construct the fixture and says of her design, “The main aim is to make an easy to made object for everybody, with daily tools and materials… and turn the garbage into poetry.”
Thinking that using used milk bottles to make light fixtures was no longer a novelty, See Hwa Goh decided to give her design a new twist, using its inherent shape for a completely different outlook with small additions. She added fins (hand-weaved with cable ties) to her milk bottle to achieve a bomb-dropping effect when the lamp hangs from the ceiling.
This light shade is made from discarded milk cartons, using minimal materials and avoiding adhesives altogether. By creating an interlocking system, this pendant is a beautiful reinvention of common household waste that is both sustainable and stylish.
This light fixture was created from an old rear cassette off of a commuter bike, an old cell phone charger and a couple of LEDs. Simple and functional, brings new use to an old worn out bike part.
This project investigates ways to reduce waste through the reuse of a hard to recycle object — the upright piano. This piano was found on craigslist.com described as “must go or will be forced to throw away.” Upon receiving the piano and investigating its components, it was found that the piano was beyond affordable repair. What followed …
“On Top of News” is a cheeky chair made out of newspapers and an old chair. Designed by …
The ReCycle Collection is 100% made out of second hand clothes and textiles (the name comes from the process of recycling and the Inspiration of bicycles). In an experimental draping process, I found the perfect shape for every single piece of secondhand garments.
In the first picture you see a former coat, two shirts and an old man’s pants which I turned into new styles. The catsuit in the second picture is made out …
The Huggable lamp is made from a 2-piece angel cake pan and off-white shag carpet left behind from a room renovation. It was constructed by turning the pan upside down and placing the removable base on top of it to create the backbone of the pendant. After taping pieces of trimmed shag …
The Dreamswing Hammock incorporates retired and/or “prime hanks” (end-of-spool lengths that are less than 50 meters) of climbing ropes, recyclable aluminum tubing for the staves, 2.5” seat belt webbing from suitable junked vehicles as perimeter gillies and salvaged sections of discarded foam pool noodle floaties for the head rest, as well as discarded toy balls to protect the ends of the cross-member staves.
The bed can stitched from a variety of available eco-friendly materials of recycled content. It …
Tamara Stoddard works in advertising and is always getting in huge billboard vinyl sheets to check color with. So much of it was going in the garbage that she decided to put it to use. The fabric is amazingly durable and waterproof so she began making these stylish bags wallets, wine carriers and passport covers out of it! …
It’s amazing what 16 years in the dusty basement can do for an old set of blinds! These are made from aluminum mini blinds that came with the house when I moved in. Voila, let there be light.
Two wrongs do make a right. It was a sad day when Sarah Myers’ drafting lamp from childhood broke and no longer functioned as it was intended. It was another sad day when her tripod similarly failed to fill its original function. She couldn’t stomach the thought of just mindlessly discarding these two, at one time, great items so she decided to make …
These speakers are made from old coffee cans! The designer has used them as computer speakers, surround sound on his video game system, and even behind the seat of his old truck.
The Axis toothbrush is a smarter way to brush your teeth. Made almost entirely from recycled and re-usable components, it stores and dispenses toothpaste from a re-used gluestick held within the recycled alluminium brush handle. The bristles are also detachable giving them a new lease on life and turning them into household …
A ruffled rose pillow made from an old too-tight bottom half of a bridesmaid dress!
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before