Seattle-based Weber Thompson expanded an existing 1916 brick building and transformed it into a mixed-use residential block organized around an open courtyard.
The architects expanded on an existing 1916 brick building and renovated it by designing a frame which acts as a neutral foil to the historic masonry. The building’s form promotes natural daylighting and passive cooling by assuming a compact form that wraps around an open-air courtyard, which extends to an open-air lobby that connects to the pedestrian street. A large exterior stairwell provides a space for interaction and connects different levels of the building.
These strategies create a social focal point for the building while eliminating mechanically air conditioned corridors and common areas, promoting through-unit ventilation and allowing operable windows at both ends of most units for daylighting. An innovative, efficient reverse-cycle system is used as a supplemental heating source for domestic water, tapping into the sub-grade parking level’s temperature-stabilized air.