RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:X
Suzlon Headquarters in India is a LEED Platinum Living Laboratory
Suzlon, the world’s third largest manufacturer of wind turbines, has more to be proud of than just supplying the world with renewable energy. At the end of April, Suzlon’s headquarters in Pune, India were awarded LEED Platinum Certification. Designed by by India-based Christopher Charles Benninger Architects and dubbed “One Earth”, Suzlon’s headquarters is the largest building in India to achieve Platinum status and it also acts as a living laboratory of sustainable technologies.
One Earth sits on a 10-acre complex, houses around 2,300 employees, and is surrounded by various gardens and courtyards. The headquarters is unlike most glass-covered business complexes in that it features neutral-colored shade screens, large roof overhangs, and thin building profiles that provide more natural light. Landscaped courtyards, reflecting pools and green roofs and terraces also affect the micro climate around the building.
The large corporate headquarters include many sustainable building strategies — and as one might suspect from a wind turbine manufacturer, renewable energy generation plays an important role. Over 150 kW of power is generated on-site, 80% of which comes from micro wind turbines. The other 20% comes from a PV system installed on a shade structure for the main courtyard. Hot water is provided via solar thermal heating, and louvers along with low-e glass help shade the interior. Glass ventilating tubes, invented by Benninger, pull in cool air from the basement and push out hot air. Finally non-toxic materials were used extensively throughout the interior and LED lights provides energy efficient lighting for the complex.
As Benninger says about One Earth, “My ambition was to create a great place to work for a great company with a great mission. We have to take sustainability in our stride, as we do sound structural engineering or competent plumbing. What is outstanding about this building is that it enhances the lives of the people who work here, and all of these factors count into the company’s performance.”
Photo credits: Christopher Charles Benninger Architects and Suzlon
Thanks for the tip ccbarch!
Browse by Keyword