- Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building - http://inhabitat.com -
SWISS-ENGINEERED SIGG WATER BOTTLES
Posted By Emily Pilloton On May 9, 2007 @ 7:45 pm In Environment,Green Design Competitions,Green Graphics & Packaging,Green Products,Innovation,Water Issues | 16 Comments
Last week we announced Sigg’s  “What’s your Eco-Style ” bottle design competition – a post that was met with comments and questions from intrigued readers wanting to know more about the company, their production techniques, particularly the choice to use aluminum as a drinking vessel.
1) The process begins with a solid piece of 100% recyclable aluminum about the size of a hockey puck.
2) In one fell swoop (and 650 tons of force), the “puck” is extruded into a cylindrical shape.
3) The cylinder is then pressed into the various Sigg bottle shapes with recessed necks, ribs, etc. The neck is formed using about 26 different manufacturing steps (it’s hard to make something so precisely leak-proof!)
4) A threaded ring is inserted into the neck and secured in place.
5) The bottle is thoroughly cleaned, inside and out, using ecologically friendly cleaning agents.
6) The inside of the bottle is sprayed with a taste inert, food-compatible stove enamel and baked on (this is the stuff that makes your water NOT taste like aluminum foil).
7) The outside is coated with a solvent-free powder paint and logos are applied (this is where YOU come in- submit your designs for the next bottle design to the “What’s Your Eco-Style” competition!)
8) Add a bottle top (in 3 interchangeable forms), and that’s it!
On top of the uber-efficient manufacturing processes and recyclable material, the bottles are also eye-catching and colorful, boasting some great graphic design for bikers, moms, kids, and greenies alike. Watch an interactive step-by-step of the manufacturing process on Sigg’s website here .
+ What’s Your Eco-Style bottle design competition
+ SIGG 
Article printed from Inhabitat – Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building: http://inhabitat.com
URL to article: http://inhabitat.com/swiss-engineered-sigg-water-bottles/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/05/09/swiss-engineered-sigg-water-bottles/
 Sigg’s: http://www.sigg.ch/
 What’s your Eco-Style: http://www.mysigg.com/siggart/
 competition: http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/04/26/sigg-whats-your-eco-style-design-competition/
 aluminum drinking container: http://www.mysigg.com/
Copyright © 2011 Inhabitat Local - New York. All rights reserved.