The following are the official rules for the Stop the Paper Towels Design Contest (“Competition”):
1. Sponsors: The Competition is sponsored by the PeopleTowels, LLC, 455 Canyon Del Rey Blvd., Monterrey, CA 93940 (“PeopleTowels”) and Inhabitat.com (“Website”), a publication of Inhabitat LLC, 7 Essex Street 5A, New York, NY, 10002, (together “Sponsors”).
2. Eligibility: The competition is open to current legal residents of the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, and the District of Columbia. Any individual who enters the Competition must be at least the age of legal majority in the jurisdiction where they reside. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsors and their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling, child, and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in their immediate households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter the Competition or to win the prize(s)
3. Entry Period: The entry period for the Competition begins at 9 a.m. EST on February 21, 2011, and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on March 7, 2011 (“Entry Period”). Entries received before or after the Entry Period will not be considered unless an early entry is resubmitted during the Entry Period.
4. Competition Details: Competition entrants will submit their designs to be printed on PeopleTowels to be sold by PeopleTowels, with Inhabitat branding. Entrants will submit and upload 2 photos (as .jpeg or .gif) to be printed on the next PeopleTowels. One image shall represent the design on the towel itself, while the second will be an individual detailed view of the creation. Each photo must be 375 pixels wide. If selected, the winner will need to submit an .eps file (7.5 inches by 7.5 inches) in RGB color with a maximum of 4 colors, and at least 300 dpi for printing.The design must be an original work and cannot include any copyrighted elements (no logos, slogans, or art in use). You may submit more than one entry. Submissions will be judged by members of the Inhabitat editorial staff, representatives of Inhabitat, and representatives of PeopleTowels, along with special guest judges selected by Sponsors. Judging criteria will include: innovation and creativity and aesthetic quality of submitted imagery, as well as suitability for printing on the medium of PeopleTowels’ custom fabric. A People’s Choice Award may also be given based on online voting that will occur from March 14 through March 25th, 2011, and a Grand Prize Winner will be selected by the judges.
5. How to Enter: A complete entry consists of the following elements being uploaded in the Entry Post: (1) Entrants will submit 2 files of their creative design. Designs must be .jpegs or .gifs and must be under 1 MB in file size. Incomplete entries and entries including images in other formats will be void. All images submitted as part of the entries may be used by Sponsors for marketing and other promotional purposes. Entries must be submitted during the Entry Period to be considered. Contestants may enter as many different designs as they like, however EACH DESIGN should be ONE INDIVIDUAL ENTRY. Finalists will be determined by a team of judges for audience voting on April 4th, 2011.If selected as the winner, this individual will need to submit their design file to us directly with the following parameters: An .eps file in RGB color with a maximum of 4 colors, and at least 300 dpi for printing.
6. Ownership Rights in Submissions; Originality; License to Sponsors: You must have all ownership rights in and to your design and text. By submitting an entry you represent and warrant that any design elements, text and images contained therein are your original work and that no other person or entity, including any third party designer, has any ownership interest in the design or is entitled to any payment for the use of the design, image or text. Sponsors reserve the right to void and/or disqualify any submission if found in Sponsors’ sole discretion to be inconsistent with these representations and warranties, plagiarized, copied, or fraudulent; to infringe upon existing rights of others; or to be incomplete, damaged, obscene, vulgar, offensive or otherwise unsuitable. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsors from and against all claims or damages arising out of the use of any design or other materials you submit. By submitting an entry, you grant to Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual license to publish, display, use, exploit, edit the text, adapt, modify, copy, disseminate, post, or dispose of the design, text and other submitted materials online, in print, film, television, or in any other media for editorial, advertising, promotional or other purposes without compensation or notification of any kind to you, except as prohibited by law. PeopleTowels shall be granted full ownership, use and enjoyment of all designs submitted to Inhabitat, with exclusive rights to use said designs on PeopleTowels reusable personal hand towels in all sales channels, including but not limited to wholesale and retail. Both PeopleTowels and Inhabitat shall be permitted to use any submitted design for other goods, including but not limited to t-shirts and bags.
7. Winner Selection: A People’s Choice Award may be given based on online voting. All votes generated by a script, macro, or other automated/repetitive electronic means or mechanically reproduced will be disqualified. A Grand Prize Winner and a Runner Up will be selected by the judges. Sponsors’ decisions in selecting the winners and in all matters relating to the Competition are final and binding. The Grand Prize-winning entry, the People’s Choice Award, and the Runner Up Award and the identities of the winners will be announced on Ecouterre.com, Inhabitat.com, and PeopleTowels.com, and the winners will be notified by email and phone, by April 4th 2011.
8. Prize: The Grand Prize Winner will receive a $500 check along with the recognition and publicity that comes with a featured article on Inhabitat.com and Ecouterre.com. The People’s Choice Award Winner will receive a $500 check along with the recognition and publicity that comes with a featured article on Inhabitat.com and Ecouterre.com. The Runner Up Award Winner will receive a $250 check along with the recognition and publicity that comes with a featured article on Inhabitat.com and Ecouterre.com. If any winner chooses not to accept the prize, an alternate winner will be chosen at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. All prizes shall be provided and paid in full by PeopleTowels.
9. Right to Use Name, Likeness, and Other Identifying Information: By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns the right, except where prohibited by law, the right to use the entrant’s name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, entry materials, and written or oral statements, for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes, without compensation, unless required by law. Entrants shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of their name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, or entry. The rights granted under this paragraph are without compensation or notification to the entrant of any kind, except as required by law, and shall extend to all entries and all other submitted materials related to the Competition, including those submitted by non-winners and winners.
10. General Conditions: By participating in the Competition, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsors and the judges, which will be final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Competition. Sponsors and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) shall have no responsibility for any injury, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from participation in this Competition or acceptance and use of the prize. If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Competition, Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Competition, and/or to judge entries from among all eligible, nonsuspect entries received prior to such action. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Released Parties are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Inhabitat LLC on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Competition. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
11. Privacy: By entering this Competition, entrants agree and consent that any information provided upon entering may be used by Sponsors in accordance with their respective Privacy Policies located at www.inhabitat.com/privacy. If you do not want your information used in this manner, do not enter this Competition.
12. SELECTION OF WINNER. The Selected Contestant will be required to respond (as directed) to the phone and/or e-mail notification within 72 hours of attempted notification. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of the prize; and, in such case, Sponsor may choose the next highest scoring entry from among the remaining eligible entries. In order to claim Prize, the Selected Contestant will be required to assign the copyright in the design to the Sponsor, although Selected Contestant will always receive name credit for the winning design, and shall be able to display design as part of his/her portfolio. The Selected Contestant will also be sent an affidavit of eligibility / liability / publicity release (“Release”). Unless restricted by law, each Selected Contestant will be required to complete and return the Release within the time period specified therein. The release will include permission by the Selected Contestant to allow Sponsor to use the information contained on the submitted entry form in any and all advertising throughout the world without additional compensation. Should Selected Contestant be unwilling or otherwise unable to provide such permissions and or releases or otherwise cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason, an entrant with the next highest score will be chosen from the remaining entries until one who is able to meet all requirements can be selected. Selected Contestant must provide Sponsor with all signatures on the Release and return all documents in a timely manner as required pursuant to these Official Rules in order to be eligible to receive the prize.
13. OFFICIAL RULES and WINNERS LIST. For a copy of these Official Rules or the Winners List (available after the Announcement Date) send a self-addressed, stamped envelope (WA, VT residents need not affix postage) to: “PeopleTowels: Earth Day 2010,” 455 Canyon Del Rey Blvd., Monterey, CA 93940.Please specify “Official Rules” or “Winner List”. Requests must be received within six (6) months of the Announcement Date.