It is often said that for green cars to be taken seriously, serious car buffs must realize that they can compete with the big boys. You see, most people think that you just can’t get proper mileage out of electric cars, that they are ugly, and most importantly, that they just can’t go fast. Well, to prove them wrong, and to start out our brand new Transportation Tuesdays series, we’d like to bring to you the top 5 greenest, fastest, and sexiest beauties on wheels that we’ve ever seen. Counting down from 5 to 1, here they are…
5. Saab Aero-X It’s encouraging to see car manufacturers look for alternative fuel sources to power their vehicles. This particular concept by Saab comes equipped with an ethanol guzzling 2.8L twin-turbocharged V6 that can get you from 0 to 100kph/60mph in 4.2 seconds. Even cooler, the car has no doors, rather, the entire top canopy section of the car opens up, making it one of the most unique designs out there. Sadly, the car is still on concept stage. But one can still dream.
4. Venturi Fetish Looking like something out of a spy movie, the Venturi Fetish is the world’s only in production electric sports car. While its top speed is only 100mph, it’ll give you plenty of power in the initial acceleration as it does a good 0-100kph/60mph in about 5 seconds. sadly, only 25 cars are being produced a year. But this list wouldn’t be complete without it.
3. Citroen C-Metisse Concept Unveiled at the Paris show last year, the Citroen C-Metisse Concept is another attempt to create a diesel hybrid car. What’s so exciting about that? well this particular vehicle can operate in a Zero Emission mode, an all electric mode perfect for city cruising, while giving you access to the power of the diesel engine when needed in the motorway. While not as fast as the Saab, the fact that it has a mixed mode engine puts it just a bit higher in our list.
2. Toyota FT-HS Now when talking about power, you can’t help but wish that you had access to a FT-HS. So far, most of these have been concept cars. Not this one though, as this vehicle is scheduled to go into production in 2009. Soon we can all be salivating at the beauty of its advanced hybrid – gasoline system, capable of moving you from 0 to 100kph/60mph in an astonishing four seconds flat. Now that’s what we call power!
1. The Tesla Roadster No list would be complete, without what is probably the greenest sports car in the planet. The Tesla Roadster, is the cream of the top. The fully electrically powered sports car can do 0-100kph/60mph in a little over 4 seconds. To give you an idea of how cool this car is, if we were to calculate the fuel efficiency of this vehicle it would be the equivalent of 135 miles PER GALLON! Not bad for a fully electrically powered vehicle. Take that Ferrari!