Brit Liggett

VIDEO: Added Value Empowers New York's Youth With Urban Farming

by , 02/28/14

Click HereYouTube Preview Image

Urban farming is on the rise across the globe; people all over are bringing their food source closer to their doorstep by farming in abandoned lots and on empty rooftops. Ian Marvy, the Executive Director of Added Value, sees urban farming as more than a local food source. He sees the cultivation of plants on urban land as a way to foster sustainable development for cities across the globe. Added Value has two farms in New York City and through their youth programs they are bringing up a new generation of conscious, thoughtful, sustainably oriented citizens.

added value, red hook community farm, american express members project, urban gardening, urban farming, at risk youth, urban farm in new york city, urban farm in brooklyn, brooklyn, new york, new york city, nyc

Added Value was created 10 years ago and is still operating out of Red Hook, Brooklyn. They started on a small plot of land and have since moved to two different spaces — one in Red Hook and one on Governors Island — which total 6 acres of farm space. Their Youth Empowerment Program offers high school students in the neighborhood paid positions to work on the farm. The program is focused around providing the participants with life skills through urban farming. They plant and harvest crops, they run a farmer’s market and they are in charge of some of the volunteer operations on the farm.

Added Value sells the produce raised on their farm at a weekly farmers market that is run by the Youth Leaders each Saturday. Through their efforts they are nourishing the health of the community, the health of their local environment and the minds of the next generation. By teaching the young people in the Red Hook neighborhood about responsibility through farming they are addressing worldwide issues like diabetes and obesity, sustainable development, environmental stewardship, responsible economic practices and are connecting a new generation of New Yorkers to the soil under their feet.

+ Added Value

+ Donate to Added Value

+ Information about volunteering at the Farm

+ Visit Members Project from American Express and TakePart

This post is presented by Members Project® from American Express and TakePart. Members Project is an online initiative that gives anyone the tools, information, and inspiration to find causes and organizations they care about and give back on their own terms. Get involved at http://www.membersproject.com.

The views expressed here are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of American Express or its partners.

1. project1 October 13, 2011 at 5:39 am

I enjoyed the read, it’s really interesting, thanks for sharing.

2. Flora Fruchter September 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I’m a very long time watcher and I just believed I’d drop by and say hello for that first time. I actually enjoy your posts. Cheers

3. emmasters2 August 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

It’s an excellent article. I really enjoyed the information given here. It’s very informative for me.

4. ecomexpert August 4, 2011 at 8:58 am

I am very glad to know that New York’s Youth With Urban Farming! Amazing! I liked the video.

5. gyortech June 7, 2011 at 4:38 am

I am feeling pleasure to find out such an information through your website. nice work done. please keep posting.

6. jamesamber August 25, 2010 at 12:49 am

Nice post.I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this information .
    I really appreciate your work, keep it up.Thanks a lot.

7. Elegant Urban Farm Desi... August 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm

[...] could really dig their hands into. Spotted at ArchDaily, the Huntington Urban Farm is a model for urban gardening that provides individuals and families with container plots and creates a place for markets and [...]

8. welz July 27, 2010 at 6:07 pm

This is great! Only when people get re-connected with the land can we really move forward to fight climate change.

9. web designing company June 30, 2010 at 7:54 am

This was a fantastic post! means I can’t imagine about the USA’s youth can do it. I really inspired with by this video.

10. Mike Chino June 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Awesome video about an incredibly inspiring organization! Go CSA!

11. greenrainbow June 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I’m so inspired by this organization! I hope that their work continues far into the future!

12. Rebecca Paul Rebecca Paul June 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I met some of these guys awhile back, and they really are passionate about this farm and promoting local agriculture. I think this video does an excellent job capturing their excitement and commitment to what they do at Added Value.