Jill Fehrenbacher

VIDEO: A Look Back at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show and The Green Cars We Loved

by , 01/08/12
YouTube Preview Image

Last year I had the good fortune to attend the North American International Auto Show (or NAIAS) in Detroit – for the first time – and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect! I had never attended an auto show before, but I’ve heard that most SUV-focused auto shows of years past have not been very interesting to people who care about green cars, like me. However, 2011 was the year of the electric car! From super-sexy hybrid race cars (from Porsche), to a retina-searing electric yellow sports cars (from Mercedes), to practical electric commuter cars (like the Ford Focus EV and Ford C-MAX Hybrid), nearly every major car manufacturer at the Detroit Auto Show unveiled a new electric car or a new hybrid. For those of you who couldn’t make it to the show, happily we shot a video of my favorite new electric cars – check it out above, and stay tuned as we bring you a video of the hottest green vehicles from the 2012 Detroit Auto Show in the next few days!

CHECK OUT THE VIDEO >

1. lornalilli February 16, 2012 at 3:36 pm

How long do the batteries last in the electric cars? How much does a new battery cost? Also how and where are the spent batteries disposed?

Lorna Pominville

2. slowblow June 22, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I’d like to see an electric drive system that can be integrated into current vehicles, making them hybrids. I have a TDI that is pretty efficient, but could be super efficient if there were an after market electric drive unit that could be installed. Utilizing the vehicles we have seems to make more sense then building new ones.

3. LuckyDan March 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Anyone who is interested in recent innovative developments in this industry should check out Tech/Ops Sevcon (Ticker Symbol: TO). They make controllers for electric vehicles such as Peugot’s new e-Vivacity scooter. They are also in the forefront developing a new intergrated hybrid drivetrain. Exciting stuff!

4. mkass January 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Love the industry-wide attention on electrics. I wish they’d really get on it and make some that were more useful in terms of range and recharge time, i.e., the too-short and too-long of the current electric car crop product descriptions. The technology to improve this already exists and has been demo’d in Germany: http://organicconnectmag.com/wp/2010/10/electric-car-drives-375-miles-at-55-mph-recharges-in-6-minutes/

5. sterlingda January 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Nice work on the editing and presentation. Very professional. I’ll be featuring this in our news today at http://FreeEnergyNews.com

6. davidbrodeur January 14, 2011 at 11:43 am

Awesome video! That Porsche has an amazing design – would love to test drive that one day.

7. Lori Zimmer January 14, 2011 at 11:28 am

part of why I love living in NYC (there are so many reasons) is that I can live a greener lifestyle simply by not having to have a car- I love that electric cars are now being thought of as sleek and sexy! I hope this encourages suburbanites to consider electric and hybrid cars as the BEST option!

8. Rebecca Paul Rebecca Paul January 14, 2011 at 11:15 am

Oh and ditto on the inhabimic. When did we get that? It’s awesome.

9. Rebecca Paul Rebecca Paul January 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

Great job guys! I’ve always been kinda aware of what’s new in automobile technology, but this video is super informative and reflects how exciting these innovations really are!!!

10. Jasmin Malik Chua January 14, 2011 at 11:08 am

Love this! Can’t wait for all the gas-guzzlers to get off the road.

11. Andrew Michler January 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

My mind is blown- these are some great machines, and Porsche pulling off flywheel integration is truly brilliant. Dig that Inhabimic too Jill.

12. kestrel January 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

gorgeous and sexy vehicles + electric and hybrid capabilities. loving the green movement in the auto industry.