The monolithic building sits on a site which was part of the Raadi Manor area, owned by an aristocratic family of German descent. In 1940, a large part of the property was used to build a Sovietair base. Fifty years later, DGT’s design is expected to restore the area’s cultural significance while referencing its turbulent history.
Related: Gigantic wooden megaphones amplify the sounds of the forest in Estonia
The 350-meter-long (1148-feet) building acts as an extension of the airfield, creating a gentle slope that references the nation’s departure from its part to a better future. The facade, clad in triple glazing, offers views of the surrounding landscape and the adjacent Raadi Lake, and allow indirect natural light to reach some of the north-facing exhibition areas and public spaces.
+ Dorell Ghotmeh Tane Architects
Photos by Takuji Shimmura