A new contemporary art gallery has opened in Raleigh, North Carolina, transforming a typical redbrick building in a historic district into a spectacular and dynamic destination. The beautiful design is the latest triumph of LA-based Brooks + Scarpa (formerly Pugh + Scarpa) which has given the early 1900's building an impressive reinvention to include a plunging, folded external fin that creates a porchway leading to an elegant sculpture garden.
The building has already seen a few renovations in its time. Originally constructed for Allen Forge & Welding Company back at the beginning of last century, it was then repurposed by The Brogden Produce Company in 1927.
A railroad spur became the primary link to the nearby station in order to transfer perishable goods.
The designers have utilized these features to compliment the unusual design and emphasize its creative purpose.
Inside, the gallery space is complete with high ceilings and exposed structural framework that allows natural light to permeate the spaces above and in the basement gallery space. The basement is also lit through an original lunette window.
The gallery is spaced out across varying levels.
It maximizes the use of this great space, the design expanding beyond the four walls of the original depot building.