Looking to put together a super easy, festive and fun last-minute DIY Advent Calendar? My family always looks forward to the first of December because that's when we start our holiday activity advent calendar -- which helps us bond even more as a family during the holiday season.
I choose activities for the advent calendar based on traditions that we love to do during the holidays. Then, I sprinkle in a few new activities each year. For example, this year we have a surprise mini vacation at a nearby beach. You can make a simple, recycled holiday activity advent calendar using that stack of leftover envelopes you have acquired over the years. Read on to learn how to put one together tonight in a few easy steps.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
- leftover envelopes
- reusable adhesive tabs or tape
- leftover paper scraps
- number stickers (optional)
Step 2: Stick It to the Wall
I used reusable adhesive tabs to attach each of the envelopes to the wall in our dining room. I transferred them from the floor to the wall in the exact same layout, resulting in a fun colorful tree!
Step 3: Number the Envelopes
I had a lot of leftover scrap-booking number stickers that were never used, I decided these would be perfect for labeling each of my envelopes – randomly 1-25.
Step 4: Choose Your Activities
I used pieces of leftover scrap-booking paper cut into smaller rectangles and leftover stationary to write 25 fun holiday activities that my family could do together during December. In case you need some ideas, here are my 25:
- Camp out under the Christmas tree
- Host our annual holiday party for family and friends
- Walk around our neighborhood to see the holiday lights with mugs of cocoa
- Write and send our holiday cards
- Watch A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Bake holiday cookies and treats
- Have a snowflake making party
- Make recycled ornaments for the tree
- Ride the Polar Express (Watch the movie with cocoa, cookies and tickets)
- Surprise mini-local vacation
- Fold origami for the tree
- Make organic pomanders for our home
- Watch Home Alone and drink Soy Nog
- Wrap our holiday gifts
- Decorate the Christmas Tree
- Watch Holiday Movies
- Host a hot cocoa and cookie exchange
- Bake and decorate gingerbread men
- Make candy cane play dough
- Make recycled paper trees for the mantle
- Family Volunteer Project
- Make recycled snow globes
- Make a gingerbread house
- Build a LEGO Christmas Village
- Host a family game night
Step 5: Add Your Activities
Once you have written each of your activities on a piece of paper, slip it inside an envelope, and seal it. I plan each activity ahead of time – that way my son will open the correct envelope for a day that we have time to do that particular activity.
Step 6: Enjoy Advent as a Family
Enjoy celebrating the entire month of December with fun family activities! This is a great way to really get the most out of December.