Granola bars are a great snack to boost your child's energy in the afternoon, but many of the store-bought varieties have long ingredient lists including with high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils and other not-so good ingredients. The best way to ensure that your child is getting the best granola bar available is by making them yourself. And the best part is, when you make organic granola bars at home you can customize the granola bars to your family's tastes and make different batches for the youngsters and the adults. This simple organic granola bar recipe is a blast to make with your kids! The end result has a nutty chocolate-fruity taste and they take less than an 45 minutes to make, including bake time. Read on to follow the step-by-step instructions.
– 1 cup organic quick rolled oats
– 3/4 cup organic sugar
– 1 tablespoon organic molasses
– 1 tablespoon organic butter
-1 tablespoon organic almond or peanut butter
– 1/3 cup organic oat flour (or you can finely ground quick rolled oats in a food processor)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3 cups of your favorite nuts (chopped), seeds, dried fruit or chocolate chips
– 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup melted organic butter
– 1/4 cup organic honey or maple syrup
– 1 tablespoon water
Spread an even layer of the granola bar mixture in the greased pan, using a spatula to even out the top surface. Then bake your organic granola bars for 25 minutes until they are golden brown around the edges.
Remove from the oven and loosen the edges with a knife. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting the bars with a knife while they are still warm. Then, remove the bars from the pan, allowing them to cook on a rack.
Surprise your family with their very own granola bars, you can wrap them in unbleached parchment paper and store them in a reusable container.