Happy first day of summer! We LOVE summertime because it presents an opportunity to take a break from rigorous school schedules, extracurricular activities, sports commitments, etc. and sloooowww down. We even hope our kids experience healthy doses of boredom this summer — to encourage creativity and foster a sense of self. That said, we also plan on joining our kids in an abundance of fruitful activities that will nourish their minds, bodies and souls… most of which don’t even require you to leave your house or yard. Read on for 35 ideas to put on your summer bucket list for your kiddos.
1. Make a flower crown using fresh or artificial flowers.
2. Learn about the night sky with this stitch the stars calendar kit, then go stargazing.
3. Create one of these 15 nature crafts that can be made using found objects.
4. Shop for fresh, organic fruits and vegetables at your local farmer’s market.
6. Round-up your tween bakers and take on this epic DIY organic rainbow cake that’s made without using toxic food colors. This edible masterpiece would make an amazing birthday cake.
7. Too hot to turn the oven on? Keep your cool and whip up one of these 12 delectable no-bake desserts.
8. Blistering heat outside? Build and take shelter in one of these 10 DIY indoor forts and play spaces.
9. Teach your kids how to sew with this adorable create your own plush toy sewing kit.
10. Put together a simple theater and have your kids put on a good, old-fashioned puppet show.
11. We’ve got 30! homemade popsicle recipes to cool you off this summer. Try one or all of them! But first, stock up on the best BPA free molds for homemade popsicles.
12. If milkshakes are more your thing, here are 7 yummy vegan milkshake recipes your kids will love.
13. Inject some organic learning into your day with these 10 easy science experiments that will inspire and astonish kids of all ages.
15. Build a fairy house and bring it to life with these 9 small magical touches.
18. Temperatures rising? Here are 8 ways for kids to venture outdoors even on warm summer days.
19. End the day with one of these 6 great, eco-friendly games for green family game night.
20. Wake up early and tackle one of these 10 kid-friendly DIY projects for the home and yard.
21. Combine art with staying cool by making these 4 different kinds of ice chalk.
22. Teach kids the art of resourcefulness and the power of nature with these 7 surprising summer remedies sitting in your refrigerator.
23. Turn unassuming rocks into awesome crafts and learning tools.
24. Check out an inspiring craft and activity book and try something you’ve never done before.
26. Pitch a tent under the stars and nosh on these vegan camping recipes.
27. Find a thrilling alpine slide to cruise down this summer.
28. Make these bonfire banana boats.
29. Cozy up in a hanging lounge chair or hammock and get lost in a good book.
30. Visit your local library, join the summer reading program and check out the best green books for babies, kids, teens and adults.
31. Teach your kids old-fashioned games from your youth: Old Maid, Jacks, Checkers.
32. Learn how to play one song on an instrument.
33. Master shoe tying. Start with these fantastic lacing toys.
35. Practice the art of meditation and mindfulness.