One thing all kids have in common is a deep love of snacks. They’ll snack in the car, on the couch, in the yard… I think they’d snack in their sleep if we let them. All this munching typically requires a ton of plastic snack baggies or quite a few bulky containers. Ditch the plastic and the disposables for true snack-time ease with a flair; and choose a better, eco-friendly choice, such as the reusable cloth snack bags from Plum Creek Mercantile.
Benefits of reusable snack baggies:
- Earth-friendly: Much better for the environment than plastic bags which are toxic to make, not safe to use, and never, ever biodegrade. Cloth will biodegrade, and it’s a safe material for storing snacks.
- Cost effective: Reusable cloth bags last and last vs. plastic baggies which can only be reused a few times. You can buy recycled foil, or stainless steel or PVC-free food containers, but they’re more expensive over time than cloth bags.
- Easy: At first it might sound harder to deal with cloth, but honestly it’s not. I’ve had reusable grocery, produce, and snack baggies forever, and I just toss them into the washing machine with whatever else I’ve got washing. Cloth also has the added benefit of being lightweight. While food containers are eco-friendly, they’re not easy to pop into a little purse or lunch sack.
- They build eco-kids: When kids are introduced to non-disposables from a young age, items they can relate to such as ice pop molds, cloth napkins, and reusable bags, you’re setting them up for a non-disposable life. It’s hard to discuss hard core recycling with kids, but discussing why cloth snack bags are so much better than plastic is a snap. Small steps do build green children.
About Plum Creek reusable snack bags:
- Each set includes 2 large bags, 2 medium bags and 1 small bag. Personally, I’d recommend purchasing a few sets, because once you start using them, you won’t be able to live without them.
- Bags are fabric inside and out – no plastic lining.
- Come in various materials; 100% cotton, 100% cotton denim, or 100% organic cotton brushed twill.
- Come in many fun, pretty, and basic colors and designs. Enough options to suit any taste.
- Can be used for almost any food item, even, “A gooey PB&J or turkey sandwich.” The only off limit foods are liquids and super soft fruits that could stain (berries).
- Each bag stays shut with a secure hook and loop closure that is still easy enough for for little kids to open.
- Can be machine washed and dried or even washed by hand and hung to dry.
What are you using right now to store kid snacks? Would you give reusable bags a try?