For the past decade, Environmental Working Group (EWG) has been releasing an annual sunscreen guide for consumers, highlighting sunscreen facts, tips, and best and worst sunscreen lists. 2016 marks their 10th annual sunscreen guide, and you can get all the facts now and have a safer summer! As always, EWG points out that families should not rely on sunscreen alone, rather, use sunscreen as just one protective measure coupled with sun protective clothing, staying in the shade, and checking out theÂ UV IndexÂ before you head outside. This year, EWG has fine-tuned their list to include the best and worst sunscreens for kiddos.Â According to EWG,Â 37 sunscreen products in total, which are marketed to children, earned an EWG sunscreen rating of 7 to 10 for toxicity (a rating of 0 or 1 is best), the worst scoring suncreens include:
- Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Coppertone Sunscreen Continuous Spray, Kids, SPF 70
- Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion Kids, SPF 70+
- Coppertone Foaming Lotion Sunscreen Kids Wacky Foam, SPF 70+
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
- CVS Baby Sunstick Sunscreen, SPF 55
- CVS Kids Wet & Dry Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70+
- Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Hampton Sun Continuous Mist Sunscreen For Kids, SPF 70
Why so bad?
The sunscreens above, made for kids and babies, have at leastÂ three strikes against them: oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate and SPFs above 50+. EWG notes that four earnedÂ additional strikes because they’re aerosol sprays that can expose sensitive young lungs to potentially hazardous chemicals. Luckily, for your family, there are plenty of better choices. Keep reading to see 10 of the best sunscreens for kids and babies for 2016.
This year an impressive amount of sunscreens marketed to children and babies were deemed very safe, with a score of 1 by EWG. This is awesome, because safe sunscreen is insanely expensive. This large list (49 baby and kid sunscreens in all) allows families to be more selective when choosing a safe (and hopefully more affordable) sunscreen. Â Of the 49 products,Â 34 are lotionsÂ and theÂ other 15 are sunscreen sticks. BelowÂ are 10 of EWGâ€™s best sunscreen lotions for kids in 2016.
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- California Baby Super Sensitive Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Badger Kids Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
- TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30+
- Goddess Garden Kids Sport Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Baby, SPF 30+
- Thinksport for Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Jersey Kids Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Kiss My Face Organics Kids Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
EWG points out that parents should know that, “the FDA does not set any criteria or additional requirements for sunscreen and body care products marketed to children” vs. adults. That said, visit EWG’s 10th annual guide to learn more and to see all the best and worst scoring sunscreens of 2016.
Lead image Â© taniadimas via Pixabay