If you're short on space, are simply looking for a crib that's stylish and unique, or want a sleep system that lasts far beyond the baby years, the Stokke Sleepi System is the perfect fit. Stokke Sleepi is an elegant and modern sleep option for your child, and it can be configured in a number of unique ways. The system serves as a newborn bassinet, a baby crib, a toddler bed, a junior bed, a mini couch and/or two chairs, meaning, your child won't outgrow the system for years. Plus, Stokke uses eco-minded materials and ethical business practices. Keep reading to learn more.
How the Sleep System Works
The Stokke Sleepi System accommodates your child from birth to childhood because it’s four+ beds in one, plus offers options for use even after your child outgrows the junior bed. Here’s a rundown of how the system works.
- Birth to 6 months: The system starts with a small bassinet size mini crib.
- Birth to baby: The small bassinet expands into a basic baby crib.
- Baby to 18 months: Once your child is standing up, you can lower the mattress platform of the crib.
- 3 to 4 years: Remove one side of the crib to transform the Sleepi into a toddler bed.
- Approximately 3 to 10 years: An optional expansion kit transforms the toddler bed into a junior bed.
- Older than 10: After your child has outgrown the system for sleeping, you can turn the bed into a couple of stylish chairs or use the bed as a practical mini-sofa.
Sleep System for Babies
The best thing about the Sleepi mini is how it’s so tiny it’ll fit right next to your bed in most master bedrooms. Due to smooth action lock wheels, the Sleepi follows you around the house as needed too and the movement can help rock your baby to sleep. Sleepi’s unique oval design is pretty to look at for sure, but it also helps to increase airflow through the crib, creating a safe and cozy cocoon for baby.
Sleep System for Babies and Toddlers
Once your little one outgrows the mini Sleepi (at about 6 months) it transforms into a nice basic oval crib. As your baby grows and starts to stand up, you can easily adjust the height positions of the crib so your baby won’t tumble out or climb over the side. Once your baby reaches the curious climbing stage, simply remove one side of the crib, lower the mattress to the lowest height and your tot can climb in and out of his new toddler bed all on his own.
The Junior Bed
The Stokke Sleepi Junior Bed extension expands the use of your Sleepi to the age of about ten years for under $200! That’s a huge financial savings over buying a whole new junior bed. This extension offers a comfortable bed at night and a relaxing mini sofa during the day. It’s great for the bedroom, but also nice for play areas because kids can climb up and read or relax. Once your child outgrows the junior bed, you can keep the bed on as a permanent mini sofa or transform the bed into two stylish reading chairs.
Due to the unique oval shape of the Stokke Sleepi System, you’ll need to purchase special oval mattresses certified and sold by Stokke to ensure a safe environment for your child. Stokke has two types of mattresses available. The Stokke Sleepi Colgate-made foam mattress has been ranked number 1 by Consumer Reports and is firm, strong and durable with a non-toxic cover and waterproof backing. There’s also an organic, but more expensive option, the breathable Stokke organic mattress, which is filled with coir from the only certified organic coir plantation in the world. The coir is wrapped in a unique lambs wool which has been bathed in a mixture made from extracts of lavender, lemon and eucalyptus. The organic mattress is completely anti dust-mite and has naturally thermal insulating properties due to the wool. Mattresses come in three sizes – mini for the mini bassinet; regular for the crib and toddler bed; and junior bed sized.
Stokke Sleepi Accessories
The Stokke Sleepi system offers many accessories you can add on for added style, practicality, comfort and storage. Accessories include the following:
- Fitted Sheets: Made specifically for the round mattresses.
- Blankets and Covers: Made with healthy materials, zero toxic dyes and will keep your baby cozy. Comes in natural shades and eye-popping designer colors too.
- Stokke Sleepi Canopy: Designed to compliment the Sleepi, this canopy offers a cozy and warm feeling to your nursery while blocking excess light so your newborn has a more comfortable sleeping environment.
- Sleepi Chair Cover: Offers an attractive seating cover for your chairs, if you choose to transform the bed into chairs at some point.
- Junior Drawer Box: A nice box with wheels, made to fit perfectly underneath the Sleepi Junior bed, providing extra storage space in your child’s room. Available in 5 finishes matching the Sleepi system.
- And more: Bumpers, sleeping bags, storage baskets and other accessories are also available.
Stokke Eco-Materials & Safety
The Sleepi system is more than just practical, it’s also eco-friendly, made from 100% solid cultivated (renewable) beech wood, a material known for its strength and stability. The system comes in many attractive varnished color choices and all are child safe. The company also has other eco-practices in place, such as using Oeko-Tex certified fabrics and other environmentally friendly and biodegradable materials whenever possible. Stokke is currently exploring energy saving production techniques, fuel efficient shipping, and distribution methods and is committed to high quality good and ethical trade and working practices at every level. The company is a member of the Ethical Trading Initiative Norway and makes special contribution to the UNICEF Schools for Africa project.
Looking to Save Money?
If you buy the entire sleep system it will run you around $1,780. That may seem steep, but that would include the mini bassinet, crib, toddler bed, junior bed and three mattresses (foam) which is a pretty sweet deal for 10+ years of use, plus a really nice 7-year extended warranty. If you’re looking to save some money though, I suggest co-sleeping with your newborn, thus skipping the mini bassinet. Then buy the Sleepi crib/ toddler bed, one crib mattress in foam, the junior bed conversion kit and one junior mattress in foam. This set up will run you less – about $1,480 (a savings of $300). Plus, look for deals. For example, I’ve seen the Sleepi crib on sale for $600, so you’d save another $200. All in all though, even if you buy the most bling system, which to me would include the organic mattresses, you’ll still be paying under $300 per year for 10 years for your child’s bed, not to mention you’ll have the mini sofa and/or chairs well beyond age 10. Considering this is a sustainable bedroom option, and considering some plain old eco-cribs (non-convertible) cost $1,000+ this system is a good deal.