Imagine looking out the window over your morning cup of coffee and seeing a giant orange cloud rising up from your hometown. Pretty terrifying, right? Residents of two towns in northeastern Spain were ordered indoors due to a massive cloud of toxic gas in the air but they are now breathing a bit easier. According to the Associated Press, nearly 40,000 people in the Spanish province of Catalonia were told go indoors and close their windows after an explosion at a warehouse sent an orange cloud of chemical gas into the air over the region. Now, officials in the region have given a “partial all clear for people to leave their homes,” after the cloud dissipated.
The Associated Press reports the explosion that caused the cloud happened when products being delivered to a warehouse in the city of Igualada got mixed, exploded and set a truck on fire–inflicting minor burns on two people involved and sending the orange cloud containing nitric acid and ferric chloride over the surrounding area.
According to TheLocal.es, in the aftermath of the incident, people were sent inside, schools were inundated with calls from concerned parents and roads were closed. Emergency officials asked for calm and that people not endanger themselves by going out to take pictures of the toxic cloud.
Officials said a lack of wind in the area made the cloud hang around longer before dispersing, but officials have now given the all-clear for locals to go outdoors again–with the exception of children, the elderly, pregnant women and people with respiratory illnesses. An spokesperson from Igualada’s town hall told TheLocal.es that the cloud has cleared and “everything is returning back to normal.” TheLocal.es also says three individuals were injured in the explosion and are now “out of danger.”
Image via albareda_rm