The new Resnick Pavilion is part of a larger redevelopment plan for the art museum called the Transformation. The impressive endeavor includes the neighboring five-story Broad Contemporary Museum, also designed by Renzo Piano, and both buildings were designed to a similar aesthetic, featuring a clean, white travertine marble exterior, striking red duct work and jagged, slanted windows on the roof to infuse the interior with natural daylight. The north and south facing facades of the pavilion have been clad in glass, and provide a visual connection with the gardens outside.
The 45,000 square foot Resnick Pavilion has been named after Lynda and Stewart Resnick, a pair who donated $45 million to help build the structure, in addition to $10 million worth of art.
To celebrate the opening of this new space, the museum will offer free admissionOctober 2nd and 3rd, and visitors are welcome enjoy the pavilion’s trio of new exhibits: Eye for the Sensual: Selections from the Resnick Collection; Olmec: Colossal Masterworks of Ancient Mexico; and Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail, 1700-1915.
Lead Image © Alex Vertikoff/2010 Museum Associates/LACMA