diy design, green design, housewares, inhabitat green design competition, recycled materials, repurposed materials, spring greening 2010, sustainable design, elasticshelf

This shelf system by SystemDesignStudio for the home or office is made out of used bicycle tires tensed between two used furniture legs. This creates an interesting elastic structure that allows the owner to keep and display books and objects.

+ SystemDesignStudio

12 Responses to “ELASTICSHELF: A Shelving System Made Out of Used Bike Tires”

1. Anonymous says:

Video please, how much would it cost, and when/where to get them?

2. Anonymous says:

A little imagination goes a long way on this aesthetically pleasing,storage unit…especially great to encompass the off shoot of pedal power! I love it!!

3. Anonymous says:

is a copy of elastico bookcase designed by arianna vivenzio in 2008

4. Anonymous says:

This doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve post it on my blog on February 2008

5. Anonymous says:

This already exist. I’ve post it on my blog on February 2008.

6. Anonymous says:

Hmmm are those tires or tubes? Cool Idea no matter what the answer. Would imagine that the anchors need to be solidly in studs especially is the weight is medium to high (relative I know). Cool Idea!

7. Anonymous says:

I think that this version is better than of Arianna vivenzio because this design is made of recycled and reuse materials, Is better a design OPEN SOURSE that you can do it, that one that you have to buy in a designshop.

8. Anonymous says:

Of all the other designs, I fully recommend this one. It makes good use of at least two materials that are not biodegradable over time, and is unique from all the other lamp-based designs.

9. dmrattr says:

Does anyone know where bike tires can be recycled at??

• Inhabitat Local