Sometimes design is new and exciting. Other times, it’s old and even more exciting. Such is the case for the new offices of the multidisciplinary design firm Cushing Terrell. Relocated in downtown Seattle, Washington, in response to the shifting employment needs resulting from the pandemic, the new 9,000-square-foot office sits on the seventh floor of a historic warehouse and joins the movement to reoccupy and revitalize the area.
Rather than let old buildings decay, requiring copious resources to tear down and replace, businesses in Seattle’s Waterfront District are dedicated to making what’s old new again. The move into the Agen Warehouse building, originally built in 1910, puts Cushing Terrell inside an industrial warehouse that has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Furthermore, the penthouse space at 1201 Western Avenue was added to the building in the 1980s. The space then provides expansive views of the surrounding Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.
From top to bottom, the renovation project emphasized reuse. Starting with the building itself and moving down to tables and workspaces already in the space, Cushing Terrell took a conscientious approach. Throughout the project, unneeded materials and office products were sold or donated in order to reduce waste.
New furniture and other supplies were also sourced with the environment in mind. The dining table was salvaged from a closed showroom. In addition, task chairs are made from recycled ocean plastic. On the dining room floor, the area rug is made from recycled plastic water bottles and Living Product Challenge certified.
Without changing the floor plan, the project emphasized flow and function for the varied workstations in the office, including both quiet spaces and activity zones for collaboration. Wall separations were removed to open up the space, allowing in natural light and highlighting the views.
Images via Mark Woods Photography