Bodies from victims of the Thirty Years’ and Silesian wars adorn the Czermna Chapel in Poland. Built in 1176 by a local priest, the walls are lined with bones, surrounding visitors and stretching into skull and crossbones patterns over the ceiling. The builders of the chapel were honored in the structure as well – their skulls can be found in the center of the church.
Located in the walled medieval city of Evora, Portugal, the Capela dos Ossos is a 16th century Franciscan chapel lined with skulls and bones that stretch over the interior groin vaulting and all over the walls. Unlike the decorative bones of the other chapels, two full corpses hang from chains, left in their entirety – one of a man and one of a child – with “Better is the day of death than the day of birth” written near them on the ceiling.