Georgia Tech’s Hinman Research Building was originally designed by Harold Bush-Brown and P.M. Heffernan in 1939. The building was dedicated to industrial research and was instrumental in the development of microwave cooking and the helicopter. In 2008, the College of Architecture asked Lord Aeck & Sargent’s Historic Preservation Studio, NADAA and builder Beck Group to reconfigure the building for the College of Architecture for use in graduate architecture and industrial design education and related research programs. The renovation team added 1,250 sf of floor space in the high research bay and built-in design studios, computer labs, jury and pinup areas as well as informal and formal public spaces.
The historic renovation and adaptive reuse project received LEED Gold Certification as well as a number of other design awards. The high bay area is the most impressive space – it features a large, open and flexible space for studio work, exhibitions, parties and critiques. Parts of a reclaimed crane were incorporated to create the mezzanine, and daylight floods the space. Other design features include a large guillotine-like door that raises and lowers and can serve as a pin-up wall for projects. Additionally, a spiral staircase wrapped in guard rail mesh provides access to the south wing. The ultimate goal of the renovation was to complement the historic steel and brick construction with modern elements and necessary programmatic areas while achieving safety and sustainability requirements.
Images ©Jonathan Hillyer Photography and NADAAA