Jill Fehrenbacher

GROW YOUR OWN GRASS FURNITURE

by , 05/28/06

Here’s a great spring project to get you ready for those up-coming summer barbeques: grow your own lawn furniture with the Terra Grass Armchair kit. All you need to do is assemble a cardboard frame, fill it with soil, seed it with grass, then stand back and watch it bloom. In just a couple weeks, a green and grassy armchair will appear in your lawn!

This reminds us of the ReadyMade Make-Your-Own-Lawn-Couch project, and Julian Lwin’s Biodegradable Bench that we covered a few days ago. The Terra Grass Armchair however, seems like the simplest and easiest route to a furnished lawn if you don’t have a lot of time or money on your hands.

$100 or �65 from ThePresentFinder.co.uk

Via BookofJoe and IfTheBirdsKnew
Thanks Amylou & Joe!

1. Erika Kachama-Nkoy December 11, 2006 at 3:01 pm

We installed two of these chairs (purchased from fitzu.com) the summer of ’05 in our Wisconsin garden. We literally upholstered the chair with panels of sod, which we held in place with earth staples. They’re very striking but a few issues have come up: (1) Cutting: we hand cut with a pair of ergonomic shears. Takes about 20 minutes per chair–and it’s a tiring/boring; (2) Watering: the steep back gets very dry and watering requires concentrated doses of water; (3) Grass is doing very poorly on the steepest bits; (4) Little animals like nesting in the seats. As others have suggested, we’re going to experiment next spring with low maintenance ground cover with minimal water needs. A combination of thyme and my favorite blue fescues might do the trick. I love the chairs but they’re better suited to a ground cover other than grass.

2. blackmagic June 11, 2006 at 5:57 pm

wow! this is well cool! im gna d.i.y my self one tho rather than buy it! as on big brother!!!

3. Amy Lou Stein May 30, 2006 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for the nod! Inhabitat RULES. xoxoxoox amylou

4. Elizabeth May 30, 2006 at 5:29 pm

I actually really like this design, and I think that if one wanted to use grass, one could either use some hand sheers or a electric weed trimmer. Marcus has a point though, this is definitely for use in the north. There are too many biting things living in our scratchy and stiff St. Augustine grass here in Florida for me to consider such a thing.

5. marcus May 30, 2006 at 1:06 am

wow! an empty condo for a colony of fireants with a big “For Rent” sign!

6. jtablerd May 29, 2006 at 7:50 pm

actually I’ve seen the instructions either on here or treehugger, here’s the link to the DIY: http://www.readymademag.com/feature_6_sodcouch.php

7. Ro May 29, 2006 at 9:14 am

I wish they would make kits for couches, longchairs and tables as well. A complete livingroom in your garden!

8. Shazz May 28, 2006 at 10:30 pm

I would plant this with a soft ground cover that doesn’t need to be cut. Maybe wooly thyme? Would smell lovely each time you took a seat too. I may adapt this idea and plant a hassock/footstool in my garden this summer.

9. Ro May 28, 2006 at 8:38 pm

pj, just cut the grass by hand? ;)

10. pj nery May 28, 2006 at 2:27 pm

Anyone tried mowing one of these yet? Looks like it might be tough to get a mower over it neatly,