Photo © Sofía Menéndez
Originally designed by architects Antonio Palacios y Joaquin Otamendi, Palacio de Cibeles (also known as Communications Palace) opened its doors in 1919 and quickly became a symbol of modernization and progress. This impressive cathedral-like landmark was first home to the City Hall Postal and Telegraphic Museum until 2007 when it became Madrid’s official City Hall and a central hub within the city.
It took Arquimatica five years to restore the Communications Palace, over the course of which they adapted the existing monumental building, objects and materials to serve new uses and needs. Original lamps, wooden desks, furniture, marble floors, brass fittings, tiles and other details have been restored delicately by hand in order to preserve the original character and atmosphere of this fantastic building. In addition to the restoration of original pieces, several private rooms were opened to the public, internal space distribution and circulation was changed, and ceilings were lifted to create open spaces that permit more natural light and allow ideas to grow and flow.