6 Green Activities to Celebrate Mother’s Day in NYC
Siberian squill courtesy of Shutterstock
Walking Tour of Manhattan’s Wildflower Fields
Join ecologist and author Eric Sanderson for a tour of Manhattan’s nature including a walk along the tidal marshes of Broad Street, over the stream at Maiden Lane, up the Golden Hill (site of a pre-Revolutionary War tussle and a patch of Celadine), and then to the South Street Seaport Museum. Learn about the local flowers on site and get excited for “some surprises with the unusually warm weather.” Tours are being given as a part of NYC Wild Flower Week.
Time: Sunday, May 13, 1:00 – 2:30 PM
Location: Meet at the northern edge of Bowling Green Park on Broadway just north of Beaver Street
© Bridgette Meinhold
Mother’s Day Terrarium Workshop
Learn how to make a terrarium in a vintage glass for your mom, or have a mother/child afternoon making this special gift. These miniature indoor gardens are fun to create and easy to care for. A workshop will be conducted by Twig Terrariums at Mount Vernon Hotel Museum. Recommended for ages 5+. Reservations required.
Architecture-Themed Mother’s Day Card Workshop
Kids craft architecture-themed greetings at the The Skyscraper Museum to present to their mamas on the big day.
Milagros Mother’s Day Walk Against Domestic Violence
On Mother’s Day, hundreds of people will gather to celebrate women who have overcome domestic violence by participating in the First Annual Mother’s Day Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Join in on this momentous occasion that also benefits Milagros Day Worldwide.
Time: 10AM meeting at Park Row and Centre Street ; 11AM walking across the Brooklyn Bridge in silence; 12 to 2PM Reception/Concert at Cadman Plaza Park
Photo courtesy of A Fish Who Likes Flowers
Eco-Frame Craft Workshop for Families
Surprise Mom with a hand-made picture frame crafted from natural materials! This event is being hosted by the Central Park Conservancy and is FREE, but only families are invited to participate.
Time: Thursday, May 10, 2012 from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Location: At the Chess & Checkers House (mid-Park at 64th Street)
Two rose cupcakes courtesy of Shutterstock
Mother’s Day Cupcake Decorating at Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
This Mother’s Day, Ripley’s Times Square is offering free admission for mom, and cupcake decorating on top of all that Ripley’s wackiness. Pop in to indulge in a sweet treat and some mind-bending oddities.
Time: Sunday, May 13 12:00 PM
Location: Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! Times Square Odditorium, New York
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29