6 Ways to Help Hurricane Sandy Victims This Thanksgiving in NYC
Adopt a family displaced by Hurricane Sandy for Thanksgiving Dinner
From the plethora of “How to Use Up Your Thanksgiving Leftovers” articles on the internet it’s pretty obvious that most of us have an a surplus of food on T-Day, so why not share some of it with families that were displaced by Hurricane Sandy? It’s a nice chance to meet fellow New Yorkers and you really don’t have to do much extra except perhaps make another batch of mashed potatoes or two. If you’re interested, head to the Hurricane Sandy Thanksgiving Adopt a Family Facebook page for more info.
Help people clean up their homes in Long Beach
They say hunger is the best sauce so why not work up an appetite before sitting down to your Thanksgiving meal by helping Hurricane Sandy victims in Long Beach clean up their homes? Many lawns in the area are still piled high with rubble, so they could really use strong guys and gals to lend a hand. Sign up with Liquid Church, who will be organizing volunteer efforts on Thanksgiving Day.
Serve food at the Bowery Mission
The Bowery Mission has been housing and feeding people in need for 133 years now, but they’ve extra busy since Hurricane Sandy hit. This year, they’ll be preparing and serving over 100,000 meals during the holiday season and 9,000 during Thanksgiving Week alone. If you want to help out, please visit their website to sign up.
Donate food to families in need on Staten Island
If you make a mean sweet potato pie or a showstopping green bean casserole, why not whip up an extra batch and bring it to Staten Island on Thanksgiving so it can be enjoyed by a family in need? A group of volunteers led by Alexis Garbarino will be collecting prepared dishes at the Promaster Gourmet at 1888 Hylan Boulevard from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Alexis is trying her best to stay organized so please contact her at 917-560-5974 or through email at email@example.com with your plans to bring food.
While many New Yorkers affected by Hurricane Sandy have been able to return to their homes, there are still others that will be homeless on Thanksgiving. If you have some extra space at your house, head over to Airbnb, which has been matching up people in need of housing with free rooms. Even if you can only offer a living room couch for the night, you’ll be giving someone a warm place to spend Thanksgiving.
Photo from Occupy Sandy Facebook Photo Stream
Cook food for Hurricane Sandy victims or drive it to them
Occupy Sandy will be delivering food and supplies to Hurricane Sandy-affected families on Thanksgiving just like it has been for the past few weeks. They need help starting on Wednesday with food supply donations and preparing meals at St. John’s Church (located at 9818 Fort Hamilton Parkway in Brooklyn) and if you have a car, they’ll be dispatching volunteers and cars to recovery sites from 8am until 2pm on Thanksgiving day from St. Jacobi Church (Between 54th and 55th on 4th Ave in Sunset Park). More info here.
- Celebrate Thanksgiving by Rescuing Turkeys Instead of Eating Them
- 7 Opportunities to Volunteer & Give Back This Thanksgiving in NYC
- 6 Thanksgiving Opportunities to Volunteer and Give Back This Holiday in NYC
- 7 easy ways to help victims of the Second Avenue explosion
- Governor Cuomo Surprises Hurricane Sandy Victims with Free Christmas Trees
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31