American Museum of Natural History79 Street And Central Park West, New York, New York 10024
American Museum of Natural History website >
HOURS: Daily, 10am - 5:45pm
NEIGHBORHOOD: Upper West Side, Manhattan
CATEGORIES: history, science
The American Museum of Natural History was founded in 1869 to help people discover, interpret and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education and exhibition. Kids and adults alike can learn all about what makes our world tick through interactive and exhilarating exhibits. From weighing yourself on Mars to seeing the world’s rarest gemstone to standing next to fossils of extinct dinosaurs, this museum will keep you busy all day long.
READER REVIEWS (6)
No where in New York makes you feel more like a kid than the Museum of Natural History and I mean that in the best way.
The Natural History Museum puts on a lot of really awesome special exhibitions, like the butterfly conservatory, but the animal dioramas always end up being my favorite. Even the subway stop for the museum is cool — they have mosaics of different creatures throughout the whole station.
This museum is great for kids, but as an adult, it was great to get all nostalgic and walk around the 1970s-ish dioramas, but I don’t really feel the need to go back. Unless there is a specific special exhibition. They do, however, have special parties in the museum with DJs which I am dying to check out!
Such a fun place to go on a rainy afternoon. I feel like a kid again whenever I venture into their larger-than-life exhibits. I’m a little partial to the IMAX theatre and the planetarium.
One of my favorite Museums, there is something for everyone. If you have children don’t leave without visiting the “Discovery Center “. It is always a popular spot so you have to pick up a ticket for the different 45min sessions that run all day. Here children get a chance to explore and partake of many hands on activities. My daughter is five and she loves it.
I brought my 11-month old GrandAwesome and his parents to the museum with my fiance and I last weekend. We enjoyed the frog exhibition. It was very well laid out and I appreciate how much room was alotted between viewing tanks.
The exhibits are beautifully lit, and the entire staff was very friendly.
Bravo!! We had a great time and cannot wait to return.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
READ MORE >
Etsy's new Brooklyn headquarters is a green oasis filled with vertical gardens and sustainable features
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >