Brooklyn Botanic Garden900 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11225
Brooklyn Botanic Garden website >
HOURS: Tuesday–Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Crown Heights, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is 52 acres of themed gardens and conservatory filled with more than 10,000 types of plants. A favorite area for many is the peaceful Japanese Hill and Pond Garden. It’s one of the oldest and most visited Japanese-inspired gardens outside Japan. Near the Japanese garden is the Cherry Esplanade, easily the most popular attraction in the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. In the esplanade, 76 double-flowered Prunus ‘Kazan trees line a broad green field. When the trees bloom in early April, the result is a stunning, fantasy-like world of pink flowers.
The BBG offers a host of eco-programs, like a composting project, urban gardening, and GreenBridge, a community horticulture program that promotes urban greening through education, conservation, and creative partnerships.
The gardens are free on winter weekdays, for members and children under 12. Admission is $4 for students with I.D. and seniors (65+), and $8 for adults.
READER REVIEWS (2)
The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens are a truly amazing escape from the city without leaving the city! Amazing plants, flowers and of course the Cherry Blossoms. Definitely go out in April to check to out the blossoms when they bloom.
If you have any interest in seeing the beginning of spring and botany in general, you must visit the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
READ MORE >
INTERVIEW: City Parks Foundation's Heather Lubov on transforming baseball diamonds into golf schools
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >