Gallery: NYC Spectra Pipeline Expansion Sparks Resident Concerns About ...

  • Most New Yorkers have heard of the Spectra natural gas pipeline and the dangers it poses – but until recently, it’s felt like a vague, far-off worry that may or may not happen. Unfortunately that couldn’t be further from the truth, as the pipeline (also referred to as NJ-NY Expansion Project) is already in progress and is set to be complete this fall, bringing with it the very clear and present danger of exposure to radon (a known cancer-causing radioactive gas) and high-pressure gas explosions. The pipeline is being built directly underneath Manhattan’s West Village, and residents in the area are very concerned about the possibility of flammable water coming out of their taps as seen in the video after the jump. Their arguments are not unfounded – in 2012 alone, there were 244 pipeline incidents resulting in 10 deaths and over $180 million in damages.

    Read the rest of this entry »

LEAVE A COMMENT

or your inhabitat account below



1 Comment

  1. healymum May 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

    Please check the facts and correct this article. For NYC, flammable faucets are not a risk, radon is. Don’t let folks dismiss this second concern, because the first is mis-stated.

    No one in NYC should fear “the possibility of flammable water coming out of their taps”–that is a phenomenon that sometimes happens when a water well is damaged by nearby fracking. That’s a rural harm from fracking; here’s an urban one:

    The Spectra Pipeline is a natural gas pipeline. Once operational, it would bring us fracked gas from nearby Pennsylvania. That gas–because it’s from very-radioactive Marcellus Shale–is likely to carry along with it way-too-high levels of radon. And THAT is what we in NYC fear.

    When you cook with the gas, the radon doesn’t get burned away. If you have a tiny, windowless NYC kitchen, most of it will just sit in the room with you. Don’t inhale! because radon is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. And keep your kids and pets out of the kitchen, because radon tends to sink low in the room.

    This is a real and dangerous possibility. Thanks for getting the word out.