NK

PAPERSTONE & RICHLITE: From Countertop to Half Pipe!

by , 10/01/06
filed under: Green Design Events

Paperstone, Richlite, Countertop, resin, paper

The recent fad of using wood cladding, louvers, and filigree as sun shading for buildings has left architects scrambling for a substitute material that’s beautiful, structurally stable, durable, and sustainable – - – oh, and reasonably priced.

Two manufacturers, Kliptech & Richlite have brought to market resin-impregnated paper building products that can not only be used for a resilient building skin, but have also been used as countertops, cutting boards, and skateboard ramps.

The two products vary in their aesthetic quality, environmental claims, and price. We’ve also recently covered ShetkaStone which is similar in composition, but has a more terrazo like appearance. If you’re looking for an alternative to teak, redwood, cedar or Parklex, read on….

Both products exhibit superior durability and are available in thicknesses from ¼” to +1″. These “resin paperboards” can be worked by standard wood workers’ tools, but because they produce very fine particulate dust, respiratory protection is highly recommended.

Richlite:

Pros:

• The better looking of the two product samples we’ve received.
  • Uses wood pulp from only certified forests.
  • Available in a beautiful range of colors!
  • Also available in every skateboarder’s favorite sustainable crop – hemp!
  • The more affordable of the two products – in the range of $10 to $15 per square foot for the raw material

Kliptech’s Paperstone:

Pros:

• Supergreen Paperstone Certified product uses 100% post-consumer paper
  • Water-based resin is made from the poisonous skins of cashew nuts, not petroleum
  • Can be veneered with sheets of wood from certified forests
  • EcoRamp product has been used for 15 years on the West coast without any degradation
  • Can be made UV stable

Cons:

• Environmental properties of resin are undefined
  • The use of Richlite on a project does not currently count toward that project’s LEED certification.*
  • To keep aesthetic quality control, Richlite only uses a fraction of post-consumer recycled paper
  • Some colors may not be UV stable
  • Requires a certified installer for warranty to be valid

Cons:

• High recycled content evidently creates a surface that needs to have a false finish applied
  • Prices vary, but it appears to be more expensive that Richlite – especially the Paperstone Certified product*.
  • No installer requirement information is provided
Richlite, Countertop, resin, paperImage from Richlite’s website Paperstone, Countertop, resin, paper Image from Kliptech’s website

Richlite, halfpipe, resin, paper
Image from Richlite’s website.

We’ve researched these products based on the information from each manufacturer’s website and their standard architectural samples. We respect both company’s innovation and environmental dedication; if we are inaccurate in our assessment, we encourage company representatives to comment below.

*- above content was amended on 10/02/06.

1. Stephen of Tilde October 23, 2012 at 1:07 am

This is my understanding: Kliptech used to make Paperstone. The founder of Kliptech sold Paperstone and then created another paper slab material called EcoTop. Paperstone is now made by Paneltech. Years ago, when this blog was started, Kliptech was still the manufacturer. I believe the comparisons have been between Paperstone and it’s most direct competitor, Richlite.

I am an Interior Designer and eco-friendly furniture manufacturer. A couple of my client’s have used Paperstone. We’ve used it for a laundry room and a home office work surface. The only complaint I’ve had so far is that one of the husbands took a razor across the work surface doing a project. The complaint wasn’t about the work surface. I’ve also used Paperstone in my furniture line, for a dining table top.

The Paperstone products that I have worked with have a rich visual texture to them, which is highlighted with the proper finish material and process. The best that I have found is a hard oil by BioShield. We typically apply five coats of it over the course of several days. This gives it strong protection, and a deep luster that enhances the visual texture of the slab. For furniture and light use, this should last for a year or two, and then you’ll want to reapply a couple coats. Wipe on; rest; wipe off.

Ecotop products are visually cleaner and come in lighter colors, even white. The EcoTop products allow my furniture to be used outdoors, coupled with the right metals. As far as shades of green, Kliptech doesn’t get much darker. Most of their slab materials are now being fabricated at 1/2″ thick, to minimize their environmental footprint. You will probably want to beef up the countertop edge by laminating two pieces together. Unless you prefer lean, of course.

All in all, I love paper products. But, you do need to know what you’re buying. Chemicals and petroleum have made some bulletproof materials. Bulletproof isn’t always a good thing, especially as these materials release toxins. Consider leather and how, with a little care, it patinas over time and just becomes richer. Many natural materials do the same thing. This works for some people; and, for some, it doesn’t.

2. spdfish September 12, 2012 at 11:21 am

I’ve had Richlite countertops (sage) for 5 years now…if I had to do it over again, I would NOT choose this product,especially around the sink area. It discolors very easily—and must be re-conditioned too frequently for my tastes. It also stains easily if someone leaves a Le Creuseut type pan or lid on it–a light sanding and resealing takes care of it….but I didn’t want countertops that require so much care so frequently. If you have a busy family, you don’t want this product.

3. JimA the GC in Chicago March 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I recently installed a Paperstone countertop at the kitchen sink area. This was part of a gut rehab project. I’ll use granite at the range and vintage maple for the cutting area. I chose Paperstone because of its green cred. This is my first experience with this product.

I was able to order a sheet close to the size I needed from a distributor in Wa. The price was $871 for a 8′ X 30″ X 1″ sheet which included shipping to the Midwest. I chose the slate color to mimic a lab or factory setting and, after reading the comments here, to disguise or limit any possible staining.

The material is very hard but with the correct blades and bits can be worked by a carpenter or skilled amateur. I used a few coats of the recommended OSMO prep followed by a coat of food-safe bees wax with carnauba oil. I kept the finish to a luster somewhere between matte and satin. I think these coats may be the important step missing with some people who have had problems with this product. In my application, water readily beads up and I haven’t had problems with staining. Everything wipes up easily. I’m thinking regular applications of the wax, at a frequency determined by use, should keep it that way.

4. architecto1 April 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I am looking to use paperstone for kitchen counters and trying not to go with granite, but I just came from a distributer in Astoria, NY that gave us a price quote at about $74/sf for 144x30x1″ material. From blogs and other websites I thought raw material was more in the range of $40/ sf. We are in West Hempstead Long Island and wanted to know if there are other distributors or installers that can help us locate this material at a more reasonable price.

5. MaggieDee February 23, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I am hoping to compare these two products, but most these posts are quite old (with the exceptionof 8-28-10). Does anyone have any new opinions on these products?

6. FabNet August 28, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Paperstone is not made by Kliptech. Kliptech makes Ecotop, Paperstone is made by Paneltech Products Inc.

I can’t tell if the comparison is between Richlite and Ecotop/Paperstone.

7. seattle rainscreen July 14, 2009 at 1:47 am

I photographed this building in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. The photos were taken about 6 months afer installation. In fact the condos were still for sale when these pictures were taken.

The dimensional instability of the panels is partly due to installation oversights, however it is also a result of the panels themselves being unstable.

8. rickm January 12, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I’ve had black Paperstone countertops in both my kitchen and baths for four years. They’ve generally held up well and, when freshly refinished, are absolutely beautiful. However, they need to be refinished often where exposed to water. I’ve been using mineral oil. I tried the Paperstone finish and cleaner and they were not much more durable but much more expensive so I’ve gone back to mineral oil that I can buy from my local hardware store by the case.

Has anyone out there used a compatible sealer that remains in place for more than a couple of weeks?

Thanks!

Rick

9. jackiejean August 15, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Has anyone had 1/4″ Richlite applied to existing countertops? An authorized dealer in our area has started doing this to cut the cost and have the same look as the thicker Richlite. Sounds good, just wonder how it holds up.

10. alrest June 1, 2008 at 7:30 pm

The statement that Richlite is \”in the range of $10 to $15 per square foot for the raw material\” is AT BEST misleading –and for all intent and purposes FALSE. Yes, prices per square foot for raw materials begin at about $10 per 1/4 inch thickness, BUT NOBODY will use 1/4\” Richlite for a countertop. In fact, according to our \’local\’ authorized dealer, Richlite will not guarantee any counter which is under 3/4\” thick. An aesthetically pleasing counter should probably be about 1\” –unless you use a lip for 3/4\” material. The bottom line is that, in reality, the cost iis closer to $40 per sq. ft. for a countertop. And that is just for the raw materials! Now, remember that Richlite requires that you use a certified installer. Since we are looking for a very simple finish on our counters (we have a very modern kitchen with straight edges, and it doesn\’t require much work in the form of cutouts or corners or gluing) we inquired into how much installation would be. The estimate came about $50 per sq. ft. for installation. That means that our counters will/would run about $90 per sq. ft. installed –$40 + $50– and that doesn\’t include taxes, or freight costs (which are at least around $400)! What\’s more –and about this I am not entirely certain but it is the impression I got from the dealer– we could end up paying for significantly more material than we actually need since we would be buying one, two or three of the various standard sized sheets in which the material is sold and NOT the exact amount we need. When all is said and done, we could easily be paying well over $100 per sq. ft. for 1\’ Richlite … and we are looking into the least expensive color!!!!

The bottom line is that we went into the showroom excited about the possibility of using Richlite on our kitchen counters, and came out somewhat disappointed. Maybe a lot of the people who look into this material have unlimited budgets and price is not an concern, but for us, it seemed like the lack of competitive bids, and the cost of \”environmental hype\” (which is a sad byproduct of our increasing eagerness to be good conservationists) have made this product much less appealing for financial reasons.

By the way, if any of you is a Richlite dealer/distributor and thinks that this information is inaccurate, please let me/us know … or, better yet, if you think that you can give us a more reasonable estimate in the Central Coast of California, by all means, do so.

11. Inhabitat » Digit... May 14, 2008 at 4:45 pm

[...] show was their cutting edge Inversion bowl. Composed of a single slab of eco-friendly, renewable Richlite, the bowl’s functional form resides in that which has been carved away. The simple and [...]

12. Cyndi Detwiler March 15, 2008 at 1:18 am

Our new kitchen is nearly complete, and after much searching and indecision, we chose Richlite countertops (black), and we’re very happy with them. We almost went with PaperStone, but our contractor was a little nervous about installing the PaperStone, as he’d never worked with it before. The shipping costs from the west coast were quite high, also. The PaperStone distributor tried to sell us on the “green” aspects of PaperStone (as in “greener” than Richlite), but we were choosing the countertop material more for looks than for its green properties.The first Richlite installer I spoke to in our area retired due to shoulder problems, but another installer was added in our area, and we went with him (Wayne Ouldcott of Ouldcott Cabinetery in Chalfont, PA). We were extremely pleased with everything about the installation, and the countertops have performed well in the three months we’ve had them. The installer used a sealant, and so far, we have no stains or scratches at all, without being especially vigilant. I’d recommend the black Richlite to anyone who’s looking for an alternative to soapstone or honed granite.

13. Steve Prescott March 3, 2008 at 11:16 am

I’m a Richlite fabricator in Maine and have six years of experience working with the material. I’d like to repeat what some of the other Richlite fabricators have said — neither Richlite nor PaperStone is easy to install unless you’ve had proper training and experience. On two occasions I’ve been called to a jobsite to fix a screwed-up Richlite installation performed by a non-trained, non-certified carpenter who managed to get his hands on the material. So yes, you can get PaperStone yourself and try to install it yourself, but you aren’t likely to get very good results — and it’s an expensive product to screw up! Even experienced professional carpenters have trouble with it, as stated above. You’re just better off hiring an experienced fabricator to do the job right, the first time.

Also, just this week Richlite is launching a new product line of all FSC-certified products. That should help architects get LEED points in their projects. Watch for more information on their website, http://www.richlite.com

And finally, regarding the PaperStone resin made from nut shell oil — how much petroleum do you think their pressing equipment burned to produce enough nut shell oil to make their product? If you use the petroleum to make the resin directly, or you burn it while pressing and producing the nut shell oil, it makes no difference. Keep the product’s total carbon footprint in mind while making your purchasing decisions.

14. Mac Sawhill February 26, 2008 at 1:11 am

I have been a solid surfacing fabricator for 21 years and a Richlite fabricator for 7 years. First of all “Greener” does not mean better. Do your homework! This type of product is not for everyone. I will go through great pains to try to fit a product to a particular customer. Even if it means I loose a sale! As a business owner the last thing I want is an unhappy customer. I chose Richlite because it is the better product. They stand behind the product, which has been in production since the 50′s. The fact that Richlite requires a certified installer is a good thing. It would all too easy for Richlite to have it’s reputation tarnished by people doing poor installations and then blaming it on the material. Dupont figured this out long ago with Corian. I work all over the Sacramento valley and the Sierras , for more information or to see actual jobs that I have done go to http://www.spectrumsolidsurfacing.com

Good Luck with your projects

15. Holly January 27, 2008 at 4:48 pm

I’m looking for some more independent information on Paperstone. Here’s what I’ve seen… We live in Sebastopol, (northern) CA and are considering Paperstone for our kitchen remodel after seeing it used in a partially completed “green” work-live complex which includes a restaurant. I did notice in the kitchen of the model unit that there were some really funky seams and color mismatches. However; the color used there was a mottled green. In the restaurant, they had used the solid charcoal color, which appeared very even throughout, with no visible seams. Even with the use in a commercial environment, I did not see any scratches. On the other hand, the place has only been open for a few months.
    After reading wood’s Jan. 22 post and comparing this to what I saw in the complex, I wonder if the problems he (or she) encountered (other than the weight, which seems a little irrelevant—granite isn’t exactly light either) and the inconsistencies we saw have to do with the experience level of the installer and/or the grade of product used. In a lot of the “pro vs. con” articles I’ve read about Paperstone, one of the recurring “pro’s” is ease of installation and lack of requiring a certified installer.
    What I guess I’d like to know:
    1) Does anyone know if there are experienced installers in Sonoma County? Of course, I’ll talk to the people who are doing the complex in Sebastopol, but I’m a little worried about them, having seen the poor job they did in the green kitchen in the model.
    2) Is there anyone out there who has had Paperstone for a long period of time in their home or business and seen how it holds up over the years? I read somewhere that Paperstone has been around for 15 years.
    Thanks.

16. Beth January 26, 2008 at 7:49 pm

I too am looking for a new kitchen counter top not granite, and from the letters posted so far, PaperStone has it over Richlite. Is there an installer in the Sacramento area? And what does it cost installed per foot? Or can a regular gc install this stuff?

17. wood January 22, 2008 at 4:36 pm

We did a project with the paper stone product, Very heavy product! It took up to 5 people to move one sheet to the saw.
    The dust was very fine and covered everything in the shop. For weeks we were cleaning up the paper stone dust.
    The sheets varied in color and thickness. It is hard to make a joint with it.
    The supplier was not the easiest to deal with; time frame did not matter to them. Our customer needed things fast, product not available for shipment.
    If you scratch the surface you can not repair it.
    It will show all the layers of paper as you sand the product.
    They need to do some more work on this product to make it user friendly.

18. jordan December 22, 2007 at 4:13 pm

I am a certified installer for Richlite, and we have been very happy with the products’ stain resistance. We also fabricate concrete, stainless, and wood countertops, and find that Richlite is as, if not more, durable than the aforementioned. The only question I have is: Where did this price of 10 to 15 dollars a square foot come from?
    I cant even purchase the stock for that price!

19. Mimi October 23, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Has anyone used Paperstone or Richlite for exterior applications?

20. Helen Hobart October 2, 2007 at 3:03 pm

I appreciate these comparisons, and would like to know if any Sacramento area folks have experience with using Paperstone around sinks?

21. Maureen Chen August 29, 2007 at 8:58 am

We are in the process of planning an eco village on 3 hectare of land in Siem Reap, Cambodia. These products look really interesting. Do you know of any suppliers in Asia. Can these companies supply outside of the US? Or are there any similar products in this part of the world? Any websites for eco friendly building materials would be most appreicated.

22. Greg Bazylewicz August 16, 2007 at 5:08 pm

We have lived with the black Richlite kitchen countertop for two years now. We had it installed knowing about scuff/wear patterns. Initially we applied a diluted coat of OS HARDWAX OIL, hand rubbed in. It rarely needs reapplication. Do not apply a moderate or heavy coat since that will scratch easilly. You can use mineral oil also (baby oil smells nice) but need that more frequently. Expect some wear, but it is somewhat like soapstone, only it doesn’t chip or crack. Takes heat well. We really like it………and it’s Green.

23. Terry Fillis July 21, 2007 at 3:13 pm

I represent a granite and quartz fabrication company. We have decided to enter into the world of “Green”. We are beginning to fabricate products like Paperstone, Icestone, and Fuez. All renewable. Thank you to all of you that are creating the demand necessary to get large fabricators to add to their lines, these great products.

24. Lesli July 7, 2007 at 10:34 pm

I am working with Jeff Rogers at the NE Green Building Center in PTown – he’s got a contractor who can do Paperstone installations in the Boston area. Here’s his contact info:
    Jeffrey Rogers, Managing Principal
    New England Green Building Center
    Conwell Ace Hardware and Lumber Inc.
    21 Conwell Street
    Provincetown, MA 02657
    ph. 508-487-0150
    fax 508-487-1774
    jrogers@negreen.com

Jeff’s a nice guy – I’ve been asking him a million questions and he has been oh so patient.

Good luck.

25. Tia June 30, 2007 at 11:14 pm

Leslie – I’m in the Boston area also and I’d like to know who the local Paperstone dealer is that you mention.

26. Lesli June 25, 2007 at 9:25 am

Hi. I’m in the Boston area and am also in the “real stone vs. paperstone” quandry. I’ll choose Quartz if I have to, but I don’t like the shine. I found a guy in Mass who sells Paperstone, and can install in my area. We have samples which are unsealed but seem to be resistant to everything from blueberries to salad dressing to beets to coffee (etc.). We even put one of the samples on the grill to test heat resistance. No burning or color change. We were able to scratch the surface (very sharp knife) but buff out most scratches with scotch-brite.

I’d love to hear from someone who has Paperstone installed in a kitchen and can comment on real-world durability, color consistency (we’re leaning towards slate black, obsidion or evergreen) and maintenance issues. Any delamination issues or other things I should know before taking the plunge?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for

27. Inhabitat » HAUTE... May 16, 2007 at 3:39 pm

[...] Mead’s simple but stunning Hi-Five chairs, and were pleased to find out they are made from Richlite, a resin-impregnated paper product that we’ve praised on several occasions before. The [...]

28. Inhabitat » BKLYN... May 14, 2007 at 12:02 pm

[...] discovery this year: Hi-Five’s sustainable chairs are made from Richlite and ModGreenPod [...]

29. Tim March 12, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Spencer, I’m considering going with black slate Richlite countertops too.
    How do you like it so far? I’ve left water sit and dry on my sample piece a bunch of times and the water marks have always come off easily (and it’s well water).
    What thickness did you go with?

30. Spencer March 9, 2007 at 5:17 pm

I just had the black “slate” coloured Richlite countertops installed in our kitchen, as one of you said above, because we didn’t want the pretentious granite. As soon as the contractor was done installing it, he said that we had to be very careful of leaving wet glasses and water on it, as the water in our area is very acrylic? (I think that is the chemical… ) This worried me. Thanks for telling me as soon as you are done! I just read Eric’s post and I am not happy about it. Ours isn’t the Hemp one, but I anticipate the same problems. I will keep you updated on any future problems .

31. Eric Cadora February 10, 2007 at 5:00 pm

I have Richlite hemp countertop installed in my kitchen and master bath. I am very unhappy with the staining that has occurred around both sink areas. Richlite insists that I must be leaving standing water for “days at a time” for such staining to occur. Not true. Water is always wiped up immediately. Stains sometimes seem to appear out of nowhere. Many have a kind of “splash” pattern that suggest that water has permeated the surface immediately. Have followed all the manufacturers maintenence recommendations but to no avail, including using the Richlite recommended sealer. Have never used any cleaning product on the surface other that straight water. Have sanded and resealed the problem areas on three separate occasions. VERY frustrated.
    I would highly recommend against using Richstone hemp countertops in areas where moisture may be present.

32. Greg Palenschat November 27, 2006 at 5:43 pm

My company Distributes PaperStone. Before deciding to carry the PaperStone product we were looking to distribute and market a true green product. PaperStone fits that very well. Richlite is not nearly the green product that PaperStone is. We have not had any real issues with the product. We even conducted our own tests on it, and we were amazed. When we took on this product we were also amazed at the interest it seems to have nation wide. I myself have had a little bit of experience with the fabrication of it, and it was much easier than messing with Granite materials. I would highly reccomend using PaperStone if you are looking for a true green product. You can check out some of the installations and colors at http://www.nssurfaces.com

33. Kirsten October 25, 2006 at 8:12 am

Thanks for the tips, Thomas! I’ll check it out!

34. Thomas Jones October 21, 2006 at 7:51 pm

I’ve spec’d and used both these products and I’ll have to say that PaperStone is a much more durable product. It is much harder thus it doesn’t scrach like the Richlite does. PaperStone also is almost non-pourous so it doesn’t have the stain problems that Richlite does not to mention that PaperStone is cutting edge eco-friendly being 100% recycled paper and certified by FSC. When I asked Richlite to verify how much recycled material they used they couldn’t and when I asked if they used FSC paper they said they didn’t and they openly admit to using petro chemical resin. I have a hard time seeing a virgin paper fiber and petroleum resin being green at all. To top it off PaperStone can be installed by anyone while Richlite has to be installed by a certified fabricator and that drove the price way up as we couldn’t get any competitive bids on it.

I would recommend PaperStone to anyone as it is very durable and easy to work with. Not to mention the eco friendliness of the material. Now with all the new colors they offer I will probably use it much more.

35. Jodi Smits Anderson October 11, 2006 at 6:43 pm

From what I’ve heard, starbucks is using paperstone as a rainscreen system on it’s new buildings. There is one that was recently completed in East Greenbush, NY. It looks great!

I chatted with the contractors and got a mixed bag of reviews, mostly due to learning curve and a distrust of rainscreen systems in Northeastern climate. It does seem to be harder for them to work with (now) mostly becasue the panels delivered to them weren’t truly square, so there was a LOT of re-cutting.

I think this will be a popular product once the learning hurdle is past. I have to learn more about cost, but it would be great as rainscreen cladding system for houses – very durable and clean/chic.

36. Kirsten October 11, 2006 at 3:58 pm

We have redone our kitchen (stainless with black accent appliances , new light oak floors, and maple cabinets with stainless hardware) but are stumped about countertops. Granite is not for us — too pricey and persnickety for my favorite honed black –but with resale probable in our near future, we are thinking what other options would still be a selling point. Offering an environmental choice seems like it could appeal to a lot of people instead of screaming out “too cheap for granite”, plus granite has also become a cliche for rehabs in our neighborhood. Our other option is real Vermont slate — any recommendations from the pros here?

Based on the reviews here, I ordered the Richlite samples and we started abusing them to see how they’d hold up to our working home kitchen use. A chilled bottle of wine left no marks after an hour, but taking a sharp knife to it definitely left scratches (as I’d expect). The slate (black) color is very nice and the samples are smooth and soft. I also like the baguette. The hemp, nutmeg and sage colors are kind of mottled while the others are solid. Some are intended to change color over time, which is cool (although I’d want to see that sample first!).

I’m excited at the prospect of these materials becoming more widely available directly to consumers. We have lots of allergies in our families and would love to have more non-offgassing products to choose from. I’d love to see these counter materials at the Boston Building Materials Coop, for example, which rsells donated materials to low income families but also orders new stuff.

We’re definitely interested and will look for a local installer here in Massachusetts to get pricing info.

37. Kathleen Ryan October 7, 2006 at 12:21 am

We used two of the Richlite products (Hemp and Merlot) for the Moscow Food Co-op grocery register counters. Some of the colors show wear and scuff-marks. A re-application of non-oil-based sealant is in order after a year of service.

I’ve spec’d Paperstone Plum for a kitchen recently, after the lengthy order time (8 wks+) we’re looking forward to seeing how it looks and lasts.

38. JS October 3, 2006 at 8:17 pm

Rachel…good way to describe the product and material relation to LEED. These would get you LEED points, but you’re right…buildings are certified. And, incidentally, people are accredited. :)

My question is about actually using these. I ordered a few samples and, after seeing them, didn’t spec them because they seem to damage quite easily. Just a little pressure leaves indents and scratches. I figured, based on that, at best I could spec them for inside closets, etc…maybe laundry room shelving.

Anybody with actual experience with these?

39. Rachelh October 2, 2006 at 5:52 pm

I’m happy to see you doing a comparison of the two products, although I’m not sure I agree with you on the assessment of who has the better colors, since I find that Richlite’s color range is much smaller, and therefore harder to choose from. I like both prducts, and it depends on the application as to which I would choose.

However, I was surprised to see you say that they were “LEED certified”, since no product is. LEED certification is for buildings, not products, as was hammered home at the latest LEED workshop I attended. What a product can do is be applied towards LEED points, and many manufacturers have researched what LEED points exactly they would apply to.