Cliff Champion

The Top-5 Ways to Protect Yourself from Cellphone Radiation

by , 06/02/11
filed under: Design for Health, News

cellphone radiation, how to avoid cellphone radiation, emf, cellphone emf, cellphone danger, who cellphone radiation, cellphone carcinogen, cellphone cancer, cellphone safety

1. USE AIRPLANE MODE

Most people don’t know this, but many phones now have a function that allows their cellphones to be used on airplanes. Because airplane mode cuts off all wireless transmissions from your cellular device, it also stops all risk of cellphone radiation too! So if you’re not using your phone for an extended period of time, then either turn it off, or put it on airplane mode. Because the phone uses less energy to operate when wireless transmissions are halted, it also saves battery, which makes your technology use just a tiny bit more efficient.

1. Jennifer Harris May 15, 2014 at 8:42 am

Cell phone radiation in fact does mess with ones sleep. I speak from experience. I would often use my phone as an alarm clock then I would wonder why I couldn’t get to sleep and stay asleep. Until I read an article online saying that cell phone radiation messes with melatonin. I decided to sleep with my phone outside of my room. Every night afterwards, I slept fine and began having dreams again. So I would suggest to everyone, either sleep with your phone outside of your room, put it in airplane mode, turn your phone off, or wrap it in aluminum foil.

2. Roz Batten February 9, 2014 at 5:29 pm

its just that i saw the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpLD0xH0og&feature=youtu.be .. the thought of carrying my phone anywhere but in my back pocket was daunting .. i didnt want to carry it in my hand or in my backpack which doubles as a handbag .. i then wondered if putting it on flight mode might lessen the radiation and make it less dangerous .. which is how i found this page .. thankyou for the reassurance .. my phone will be on flight mode all the time its in my pocket from now on .. :)

3. Roz Batten February 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

to ogremkv ..
    its probably a good idea to read ALL the information, not just one side which could be biased and have an agenda, before making comments that could be potentially dangerous .. why dont you check this out .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpLD0xH0og&feature=youtu.be ..

4. Claudia Sainz de Zenteno March 21, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I read that the cell phones emit a dangerous non-ionizing form of electromagnetic radiation; radiation which can be absorbed by the tissues and cells which come into close contact with the phone. That’s why I decided to do something that reduce cell phone radiation levels for protect to my family. I found cases from Pong Research, I read that this technology reduces exposure to radiation while optimizing the mobile reception. I was skeptical about it, anyway, I decided to try it, because Pong is the only technology proven in FCC-certified laboratories to reduce the exposure to mobile device radiation by up to 95% below the FCC limit without compromising the device’s ability to communicate.

5. BtrColts June 9, 2011 at 1:13 am

Thanks this was very helpful. My mom read about cell phones potentially being dangerous and she was panicking because I’m always playing games on my iPhone and listening to music. Before reading this I wasn’t sure if airplane mode would be a safe alternative to having to turn my phone off. Now that I see it’s ok I can still play the games and listen to music all while being safe from radiation!

6. cliffchampion June 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm

@gremkv

sorry you feel this way! if you re-read the article closely, i’m quite careful to spell out the fact that it’s a potential health hazard, not a definite one. while i remain convinced that the current research surrounding the issue is severely underdeveloped, there’s still room for future reports to reveal even more on the subject.

also, airplane mode would help in this situation… because you’re trying to mitigate cellphone radiation, and because that’s caused by the wireless transmission of information… temporarily deactivating that would in fact reduce your exposure. (much like if you were trying not to get wet, and you turned off a faucet… the water would stop, and your hands would remain: dry.)

i also never claimed that it changed sperm dna. again, this article was aimed to educate readers about how be proactively cautious in light of this concern.

additionally, i never stated that radiation disrupted sleep patterns. because there is suspected health risks for cell phone radiation, sleeping next to your cellphone is… (you guessed it) a risk. so i advised people not to do that (read) if they want to lessen the risk.

i’m glad to hear you agree on the texting bit.

as for mercola… he may not be your cup of tea, but he’s certainly less of a quack than the “pill for every ill” mantra of the medical community at large.

re-read the article again. i was very thorough, and made sure to use measured language throughout. sorry if your misunderstood!

best,

cliff

7. ogremkv June 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm

You’re kidding right? The WHO “suggests” that cell phone radiation “may” be a carcinogen.

Please, find one case of cancer that is attributable to cell phone radiation. There is NO study of any kind that even suggests cell phones may cause cancer of any kind. The link below provides summaries and links to the ACTUAL STUDY REPORTS that say so.

This kind of research has been going on since at least 2001.

Here: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

This is a neat blog, but when you get out of your range, you really get out of it. Please, research these things before writing about them.

Further note that if brain cancer is what you are afraid of, then airplane mode won’t help. It turns off the radio… so you can’t send or receive calls, texts, or anything.

“Jewels”. 1) Please cite a study that cell phone radiation damages sperm. 2) Again, airplane mode means you are carrying a $200 brick around. 3) http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282%2808%2903356-6/abstract Sperm show decreased mobillity and possibly lower sperm count, NOT DNA damage. Guess what, you can get the same effect from your own body heat. Wearing tight under has the same effect as cell phones (and not that this study was to ejaculated sperm, not inside the body. Big difference.

“Sleep” ?!?!?! The mind boggles. Please, show me a study that EM radiation (not the noises made by electronics, but the radiation) disrupts sleep patterns. Yes, the circuits hum and capacitors charging drives me nuts, but it is NOT RADIATION!

Texting… finally something that makes sense and is actually valid.

And for the record, the FDA has had to request that “Dr.” Mercola stop making illegal claims. Great source you’ve got there. http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

I think I’m done with this website. It’s a shame. It seems like it has good articles, but I can’t trust anything that is said here.

8. Diane Pham Diane Pham June 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

i need to stop using my phone as an alarm near my head. great tips!

9. JasminMC June 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

Thanks for the tips! This is scary news so it helps that we can at least protect against the radiation.