As summer ends and classes begin, students around the world are starting to gear up for the long haul ahead. A sturdy backpack or satchel is an essential, and although the most eco-friendly option is to simply reuse a existing bag, some of you are sure to be retiring your frayed and fading packs. Fortunately Inhabitat has you covered with some fresh eco fashions that will have you toting your school supplies in style. Read on for five of our favorites.
1. TIMBUK2 HOWIES BAG Veteran messenger bag manufacturer Timbuk2 recently teamed up with UK-based Howies to release this cute eco-friendly messenger bag. Constructed out of organic canvas and printed with water based dyes, it’s a summery satchel built tough to weather the test of time.
2. NOON SOLAR STYLISH SOLAR POWER BAGS Noon Solar‘s elegant photovoltaic handbags outshine the unfortunate geek factor of other solar accessories. The Cortland bag (shown above) is constructed from vegetable dyed leather, is chrome free, and has an organic hemp/cotton lining. And of course it can charge your cellphone, blackberry and all your other crucial handheld gadgets.
3. VOLTAIC SOLAR POWER BACKPACK The must-have for the ecogeeky student, Voltaic backpacks can charge your cell phone, PDA’s, and other gadgets while also lugging around your textbooks. And if the solar power gadget charging isn’t enough greenness for you, Voltaic bags are also made from 100% recycled PET from water bottles. $199 – $250 from Voltaic
4. TARGUS ECOSMART BACKPACKS Students searching for an eco-friendly way to tote their laptops and books should look into Targus‘ recently released line of EcoSmart bags. Constructed from 100% recycled polyester, recyclable plastic, and nickel-free metal finishings, they are a stylish, sustainable, and PVC-free.
5. OSPRY CYPHER BAGS Osprey‘s steadfast commitment to eco-friendly materials earn them top marks in the sustainability department. Their Cypher pack is constructed almost entirely from recycled materials including PET, reground buckles, and recycled webbing.