The new bus station is located opposite the main railway station and takes the place of the former and outdated bus station, a derelict office building, and a multi-story car park. Before, the old bus station and buildings caused a significant urban barrier to the town center. So the purpose of the new station was bifold. First, the project was to provide new, safe, efficient and enjoyable public transport facilities in conjunction with the railway station. Second, the station was to create improved pedestrian permeability from the station to the city center. This new pathway is through the bus station and underneath the large tubular canopy, the design for which was inspired by William Herschel’s discovery of infra-red waves in 1800 while he was a resident of Slough.
Slough Bus Station consists of a 130 meter canopy anchored at one end by a 660 sq meter accommodation building that looks out over the railway. The ground floor provides an indoor passenger waiting area, a cafe, a news agent, bus operator facilities and a ticket office. The first floor contains the staff canteen, toilets and bus operators’ administration offices. Covered in aluminum shingles, the tubular canopy reflects the changing light conditions and is a counterpoint to the surrounding rectilinear architecture.
Besides being designed to BREEAM ‘Very Good’ standards, the bus station incorporates ground source heat pumps, grey water collection, and low energy lighting used throughout the scheme. Heat gain is minimized by the orientation of the building, a heavily insulated envelope and carefully placed windows. The aluminum cladding is 97% recyclable and recycled plastic battons were used in the cladding build up. The Slough Bus Station is the first part of a larger redevelopment project to provide a high quality urban environment for the “Heart of Slough”.
Images ©Hufton & Crow, courtesy of BBlur