David Chipperfield Architects (DCA) has unveiled a £185 million masterplan for the transformation of a 19th-century Berlin brewery into a new public destination. Located within walking distance of Berlin’s Alexanderplatz, the site has suffered severe damage from World War II and subsequent neglect. DCA’s vision infuses the space with a new identity that combines both historic and contemporary elements and reconnects the brewery grounds with the city.
Built in 1885, the 24,000-square-meter site will be refurbished with the addition of three new buildings that will house a gallery, restaurants, boutique hotel, medical innovation center, and more. The restored and new buildings will be centered on a large public plaza accessible via the beer garden. Visitors will also have access to the underground historic vaults that cover approximately 6,000 square meters of foundation for the site.
The tradition of the brewery will live on in the redeveloped site through the Bötzow Berlin beer company. “From its very beginning more than 150 years ago, the Bötzow family attached great importance to running a modern brewery and a pleasant working environment,” write the architects. “The architecture of the site always reflected these values, incorporating a public beer garden next to industrial buildings which formed a central square. The masterplan aims to perpetuate the singularity of this location.” Construction is slated for completion in 2019.
Images via David Chipperfield Architects