General Motors has announced an ambitious plan to be carbon-neutral by 2040. The largest U.S. auto maker also aims to eliminate tailpipe emissions from light-duty vehicles by 2035.

Continue reading below
Our Featured Videos

“General Motors is joining governments and companies around the globe working to establish a safer, greener and better world,” said Mary Barra, GM Chairman and CEO, in a press release. “We encourage others to follow suit and make a significant impact on our industry and on the economy as a whole.”

Related: Biden to replace entire federal fleet with electric vehicles

GM is working with the Environmental Defense Fund on envisioning an all-electric future. Currently an electric vehicle costs approximately $19,000 more than a gas-powered model, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. GM is promising “vehicles across a range of price points,” although it hasn’t yet said how low that range will go. The company said that globally, it will offer 30 all-electric models by mid-decade. U.S. consumers can look forward to 40% of available models being battery electric by the end of 2025. This all requires big money. GM has pledged a $27 billion investment in electric and autonomous vehicles over the next five years. GM will continue to develop its Ultium battery technology.

Product use accounts for 75% of GM’s carbon emissions, while production facilities generate the other 25%. GM plans to use 100% renewable energy to power its operations at U.S. sites by 2030 and globally by 2035.

“With this extraordinary step forward, GM is making it crystal clear that taking action to eliminate pollution from all new light-duty vehicles by 2035 is an essential element of any automaker’s business plan,” said Environmental Defense Fund President Fred Krupp. “EDF and GM have had some important differences in the past, but this is a new day in America — one where serious collaboration to achieve transportation electrification, science-based climate progress and equitably shared economic opportunity can move our nation forward.”

+ General Motors


Image via General Motors