The Sterling & Francine Clark Art Institute, also known as The Clark, originally opened in 1955 in Williamstown, Massachusetts. Over the years the museum has expanded to include the Manton Research Center designed by Pietro Belluschi with The Architects Collaborative, the Lunder Center at Stone Hill and now the Clark Center both of which were designed by Ando Tadao. The Institute recently underwent a major renovation and expansion with the additional help of Selldorf Architects, design architect for the renovated Museum and Manton Buildings; landscape architects Reed Hilderbrand; consulting architect wHY Architecture; and master planner Cooper, Robertson & Partners.
Related: Inhabitat’s Sneak Peak of the Gensler-designed SFO Terminal 3 Before it Opened
Working together, the design team created a cohesive sustainability strategy to reduce energy and water use. The new Clark Center is aiming for LEED Silver certification and features green roofs, dimmable lighting systems, recycled content and local materials, as well as geothermal heating and cooling. Rainwater is collected throughout the entire campus then stored in reservoirs, a reflecting pool and tanks for use onsite for irrigation, toilet flushing and the cooling tower. Water runoff and stormwater is virtually eliminated and either utilized by the Institute or absorbed via the landscape. The landscape is a critical element of the overall strategy to manage and reduce water use by 1,000,000 fewer gallons of water annually or 25 percent from before the center was built.
Images ©Gensler, Chris Leonard Photographer