Having undergone several incarnations since it was first built in 1646, the beautiful Convent of the Penitents in northern France was eventually converted into the Louviers music school in 1990. Much of the existing stone still exists, and Opus 5 rehabilitated the surrounding landscape in order to draw better attention to the riverside setting.
The concert hall has an undulating mirrored roof that somehow does not clash with the existing architecture and a new music library was added to the first floor. Original ground floor cloisters have been filled in with glazing to enhance views of the nearby river and also give way to a new foyer that marks the carefully-renovated structure’s new entryway.
+ OPUS 5 Architectes