Originally constructed in 1841 by Alexander Jackson Davis, The Octagon was an island retreat that featured a beautiful rotunda with a ‘flying’ spiral staircase. Then in 1894, it was converted into the Metropolitan Hospital and used as an asylum until 1955 when it was abandoned. When it fell into disrepair, the two wings around the rotunda were demolished and the dome was damaged during a fire. Developer Becker + Becker completed renovations on The Octagon in 2006 and turned it into a green residential community with LEED Silver certification.
The renovated residence offers up 500 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, and 3-bedroom penthouse apartments, some of which are reserved for middle income families. Residents can enjoy outdoor recreation space, tennis courts, a heated pool, a gym, a playground, access to community gardens, concierge and doorman service, daycare, and underground parking and storage. The building is one of the first in the world to be heated and cooled by a 400 kW fuel cell, and a 50 kW rooftop photovoltaic system provides renewable energy. Inside, residents enjoy low-VOC finishes, improved indoor air quality, and Energy Star appliances and lighting to help reduce utility bills.
Images ©The Octagon