RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:X
GREEN GUIDE TO PREFAB: Finding a Prefab Home That Works With Your Lifestyle
MAKING LISTS TO DETERMINE WHAT YOU NEED
One of the easiest ways to figure out what you want from a home is to simply make lists describing all the features you desire now and in the future. In addition to the obvious, ask yourself:
WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW?
- Which spaces will be expandable into others?
- Which spaces will have direct access to the exterior?
- In which rooms do you prefer sunlight at various times of day?
- What special storage or leisure activities need to be accommodated?
- Can any spaces serve multiple functions?
- Where and when do you expect true privacy?
- Do you require special accommodations for other generations within the family?
- Will you work at home? How and where?
- Where will you eat alone? With family? With many guests, if you entertain?
- What prized personal possessions need to be showcased?
- Is energy-efficiency and sustainability important to you? Will you invest a portion of your budget in green building strategies?
Since building a new home is subject to compromise (like everything else in life), consider each item on your list and prioritize what is most important. One way to organize your list is in terms of: top-level priorities (#1); second-level priorities (#2); and desirable, but not critical features (#3).
I also believe that these are the type of questions that prefab home builders should be asking you, and if they are not, consider what that lack of inquiry may mean. Prefab home builders need to provoke new thought and accommodate responses in order to produce great homes – even when modifying a pre-existing plan.
Browse by Keyword