Jill Fehrenbacher

HOW TO: Grow an Avocado Tree from an Avocado Pit

by , 07/13/12
filed under: DIY, Gardening

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, avocado trees indoors

Avocados are one of the wonderful fruits of summer. High in nutrition and flavor, nothing signals the start of summer like a zesty lime guacamole dip with tortilla chips. The next time you’re making guacamole or slicing an avocado for a salad, try saving your pits to grow into avocado trees. It’s surprisingly easy to grow your own avocado tree from seed, and it makes a great educational project for home and classrooms. Check out our handy-dandy guide below, complete with photos, to learn how to grow an avocado tree from seed.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Avocado Pits

STEP 1 – REMOVE & CLEAN PIT

You’ll need to start by removing the pit from the avocado carefully (without cutting it), and then washing it clean of all the avocado fruit (often it helps to soak the pit in some water for a few minutes and then scrub all the remaining fruit off). Be careful not to remove the brown skin on the pit – that is the seed cover.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Avocado Pit Orientation

STEP 2 – LOCATE WHICH END IS ‘UP’ AND WHICH IS ‘DOWN’

Some avocado pits are slightly oblong, whereas others are shaped almost like perfect spheres – but all avocado pits have a ‘bottom’ (from where the roots will grow), and a ‘top’ (from which the sprout will grow). The slightly pointier end is the top, and the flat end is the bottom. In order to get your pit to sprout, you will need to place the bottom root end in water, so it’s very important to figure out which end is the ‘top’ and which is the ‘bottom’ before you go piercing it with toothpicks.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Avocado Pit Top End

STEP 3 – PIERCE WITH FOUR TOOTHPICKS

Take four toothpicks and stick them at a slight downward angle into the avocado seed, spaced evenly around the circumference of the avocado. These toothpicks are your avocado scaffolding, which will allow you to rest the bottom half of the avocado in water, so therefore the toothpicks need to be wedged in there firmly. I recommend sticking them in at a slight angle (pointing down), so that more of your avocado base rests in the water when you set this over a glass.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Avocado Pit In Water

STEP 4 – PLACE AVOCADO SEED HALF SUBMERGED IN A GLASS OF WATER

And set on a quiet windowsill with sunlight. It’s helpful to use a clear glass so you can easily see when roots start to grow, and also when the water needs to be changed. Many guides recommend to change the water every day, but I found, through trial and error, that it is better to change the water every five days to a week or so. You do want to make sure you change the water regularly, to prevent mold, bacteria and fungus growth, which can doom your little avocado sprout.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Avocado Pit With Taproot

STEP 5 – WAIT FOR YOUR AVOCADO SEED TO SPROUT!

Many online guides I have read say that sprouting can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but in my experience, it usually takes at least 8 weeks to get a sprout, so be patient. Here is the process you will witness:

1. The top of the avocado pit will dry out and form a crack, and the outer brown seed skin will slough off.

2. The crack will extend all the way to the bottom of the avocado pit, and through the crack at the bottom, a tiny taproot will begin to emerge.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Avocado Pit With Lots of Roots

3. The taproot will grow longer and longer (and may branch), and eventually a small sprout will peek through the top of the avocado pit.

4. Do not allow your taproot to dry out unsubmerged EVER – doing so will be the death of your plant.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Sprouted Avocado Pits

STEP 6 – POT IN SOIL WHEN TREE IS ABOUT 6” TALL

When the stem is 6-7 inches long, cut it back to about 3 inches, this will encourage new growth. When it hits 6-7 inches again, pot it up in a rich humus soil in an 8-10″ diameter pot, leaving the top half of the seed exposed. Place on a sunny windowsill. Avocados love sun – the more sun the better.

how to grow a tree from a seed, grow an avocado tree, how to grow an avocado tree, grow an avocado tree from a pit, what to do with avocado pits, Baby AvocadoTree

STEP 7 – WATER & WATCH IT GROW

Give it frequent waterings with an occasional deep soak. The soil should always be moist, but not saturated. Yellowing leaves are a sign of over-watering; let the plant dry out for a few days.

STEP 8 – PINCH OUT TOP LEAVES TO ENCOURAGE BUSHINESS

When the stem reaches 12 inches tall, pinch out the top two sets of leaves. This will encourage the plant to grow side shoots and more leaves, making it bushy. Each time the plant grows another 6 inches pinch out the 2 newest sets of leaves on top.

STEP 9 – TROUBLESHOOTING BUGS

My avocado trees seem to collect aphids – the nasty critters can’t get enough of the delicious avocado leaves. If you get them, here’s how to get rid of them: Wash all of the aphids off the plant by spraying your plant down with a hose outside or in the sink/shower. Once the little pests are off, spray your plant with a mixture of water with a small squirt of dishwashing liquid and a teaspoon of neem oil. This will keep aphids from returning. Check your plant every 4-5 days and re-clean and spray when necessary.

STEP 10 – WINTERING

Baby avocado trees can kick it outdoors in summer, but if you live anywhere where it gets cooler than 45 degrees F, you’ll need to bring them back indoors in the fall/winter, before the temperatures fall.

WILL MY AVOCADO TREES EVER GROW FRUIT?

Hard to say! Sometimes avocado plants will begin growing fruit after they’re 3 or 4 years old, others take 15+ years to grow fruit, and some never do. It helps to have several avocado trees growing together to aid with pollination. However, don’t expect the fruit to be anything like the avocado that yielded your seed. Commercial avocados are grown from grafted branches to control the outcome of the fruit – a naturally grown avocado may be very different than its parent!

1. Angelisse Athan July 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I started 4 and figured out they were upside down :( lol. So I was able to turn 3 of them over, but the 4th one already started sprouting upside down. 4 roots under water. Makes me think it’s not that big a deal which way they end up. Think about it, they fall from the tree and grow whichever way they land.

I want to grow them in pots and try and keep them shorter than they would naturally grow. Kinda like giant bonzai lol. Anyway, we’ll see how they do!

2. Nicki Clark June 30, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I love doing stuff like this. Thanks for the Info.

3. Erna Hohl June 24, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Love this idea… I have an avocado on the go.. Love to experiment in all kind of plants… Thanx…

4. Larkbillick June 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm

This is a great article! I have about 15 Avacado trees I have started this way! Some are 4-5 feet tall and others 2-3 feet tall! They grow beautifully straight up! One of my first ones in the ground is now 8 feet tall! Be patient!

5. ohshann June 16, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This is a great article and it takes me back to my childhood when I sprouted many things, but then didn\’t know what to do with them. I am going to follow this tutorial and grow some avocados. Thanks a bunch!!

6. ginahart83 June 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm

its amazing guys

7. spony June 3, 2014 at 6:28 pm

this information is very useful i cant wait to grow my own avocado. I havent ever trieds it because i feared it will difficult..

8. Terrymarie56 May 25, 2014 at 4:31 pm

When I grew my first and only avocado plant from the pit, some years ago,I planted it about an inch or two under the dirt and still ended up with a beautiful plant, absolutely gorgeous!I didn\’t know anything about humus soil. Now I have all this new information on how to do it correctly and I am very excited! I have the root and I can see the sprout coming up to the top.I didn\’t know the top of the pit had to be totally immersed at all times but it is cracking nicely, I believe I\’ll be alright. When I grew my last one, I know I didn\’t have it always under water and like I said I grew one beautiful plant. unfortunetly I lost it from the cold. I was heart broken to say the least. Also, I can\’t quite remember how long it took to finally get the root, but it was much longer than 8 weeks even. I did it over the winter, had it in the kitchen window. I\’m not sure, maybe I had it in the wrong window? Anyway, THANK YOU for all this info, I can\’t wait to see the results after doing it your way!!!!!! My name is TerryMarie and I am plain o excited! Ha!

9. Timothy Ives May 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Many of the leaves have turned brown. Did it not get enou
    gh water

10. jamileh May 9, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I tried to sprout an avocado seed same way, using 3 tooth picks
    but never sprout.

11. Ed Iannuccilli May 8, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Thank you. Very concise and clear.

12. durufle May 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm

My avocado rooting in water is 3-1/2 \” tall and has grown waxy, heart-shaped leaves on delicate green stems. Are these flowers?

13. sat May 2, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I never do the above method. I simply stick the seed with or without the skin, clean of course, and stick it in the soil. the trees always grow. I will however pinch the leaves to encoutage bushiness.

14. marie924 April 27, 2014 at 10:40 am

Just to let those know that are stating it won\’t sprout, It Will, I have had to help the crack open up on some of mine, clean the seed when changing water, don\’t be afraid of the brown seed cover coming off, mine didn\’t mind and did better on some, Yes they can sprout several sprouts form the top, and mine sometimes take months to sprout, but once it hits like 5 inches that thing takes off, once it takes off mine overnight was growing like 2/3 inches it seemed unbelievable, I also this round used a little liquid miracle grow (plant feeder) in the water,,,be patient, mind it seemed took like 3/4 months to sprout some are doing better than others so far, I started three once was really good and other two taking there time, but I forgot to cut it at 6 inches it grew so fat it was like 12 inches in a week w/leaves, so I cut it, trial and error, I hope it wasn\’t too late in process, if so there is another one down the road.

15. Lan Anh April 25, 2014 at 2:31 am

My avocado seed\\\’s taproot has grown about 3 inches length. I wish to see the stem quickly. Really excited, it\\\’s my first time trying to grow an avocado seed

16. klhandyman April 23, 2014 at 9:40 am

My Avocado had 2 stems grow out of one seed, does that happen often,
    should I remove one of them from the seed?

17. Chris Lister April 19, 2014 at 8:02 am

Great guide – we are doing 2 plants today…

18. tedsperling March 30, 2014 at 2:17 am

Great post. I have a Facebook group for people who grow avocados in cups of water. Please join and check it out. It\’s open.

Thanks

Ted

19. Jasmine Barlett March 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I have been growing mine for about a year. It is about 5 1/2′ tall. Did not know about pinching off leaves as it grows. It is straight with no bushing out. Is there a way to correct this at this stage?

20. Petanesa March 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I just put mine in water how long do I wait until I get results.?

21. Nomadz March 26, 2014 at 4:40 am

Sounds good but hope I have enough patience !

22. Helen Michelle March 18, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Well written, loved the step-by-step, detailed instructions. Every process explained thoroughly, even the fruit yield process was explained. You left no stones unturned. Thank you.

23. lindasue February 25, 2014 at 8:40 am

Awesome…….I have grown several avocado plants through the years with good luck…. (no fruit), but a beautiful plant….. In fact I’ve started another one, (and a friend of mine) and they are doing great. I also love to eat the avocado. Awesome fruit!!!!

24. dseale dseale February 23, 2014 at 6:47 pm

My son is 10 years old is a very picky eater. He loves avocado an will eat it like an apple. One night we had 3 seeds so we decided to take the three seeds an start a root. We followed all your steps. Only one sprouted but we have planted it an now it is about 1 1/2″ tall. He is just amazed on what he has grown from a seed. I left a pumpkin on my balcony an I just bagged it up an took a few seeds to see how we do on this experiment . Thank you Jarrod an Diana (Ohio)

25. cherokee February 13, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I am growing an avocado pit it started to root. Now i am waiting for it to sprout up top. You had all the answers for me. Thank you

26. Vanessa Galpin February 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Very accurate in your information. Mine took 8 weeks for the root to grow.. I transported it into a pot.. the top had not sprouted yet.. Growing now.. Just a little guy. Thanks for the information was very accurate. I now have it in a well lit area. May be by next month I will have a little bit more action. Wish we could add pics here. Thanks for all the info and data collected much appreciated!

27. plantgurl February 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm

For those who can’t get their seeds to sprout leaves, my avacado seed was sitting half submerged in water with roots FOREVER before it sprouted a stem. I almost threw it out a number of times, but thankfully I didn’t and now I have a gorgeous tree growing. Just leave the seeds be in water and they’ll probably eventually sprout a stem. Also, for winter, my avacado tree also got dry and brittle on the tips of the leaves, and I think it is just the cold at night that causes it. Just keep taking care of it and it should be alright. Mine’s survived the winter just fine so far albeit with some dry and brittle leaves.

28. Ginid February 2, 2014 at 10:40 am

I don\’t know what I\’m doing wrong — I cannot EVER get my avocado seed to sprout leaves. It develops a long taproot, but never sprouts leaves. I\’m doing everything this site says to do – I keep it submerged in water so that half of the seed it out of the water, and half is submerged. Months go by and nothing ever happens. I\’ve tried this with 4-5 seeds, and it never sprouts. Any suggestions?

29. Rick B January 29, 2014 at 4:43 pm

My seed has a root, but no sprout. Been in water with toothpicks holding up for 5 months. Should I start over with another seed?

30. busterboo January 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Being winter and cold outside and in, I’m wondering why my plant is drooping and getting dry, brittle tips on the ends? Thanks!

31. dusty8 December 29, 2013 at 8:37 am

My avocado seed sprouted and the steam was about 6 or 7 in. high so I cut it like you said and it died. The roots are still alive, does anyone know if it will put out another sprout? I haven’t put it in soil yet.

32. Lela Lesson November 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I have an avocado grown from a seed that is about five years old. It is over 5 feet tall and has two bushy side branches. I live in AZ and protect it from the hot and the cold. I also pull any discolored leaves. I am going to plant it next year, for now it is in a very large pot. I do not let it to completely dry out except in the winter. When it looks droppy water it. I also fertilize it one a month. I find the larger seeds root best.

33. samir Hanna November 15, 2013 at 5:55 pm

this is really helpfull and great
    i just started to grow my 1st Avocado in water. wish my luck

34. TAB Studio November 7, 2013 at 5:44 am

I am a gardener for 30 years now. I can help with a few questions. The seed grown Avocado will take about 20 years to fruit. I just had my first 4 fruit after planting in 1993. I live in FL so I can grow in yard and you need pollination they are not asexual. Even here in zone 9a there are few mature trees to harvest fruit from.Avocados grown for production are most often grafted to shorten yields and better performance.

I feel a potted Avocado seed should only be suggested for foliage you would have more fun growing a sweet potato and much more productivity for food source.
    Hope this helps a bit

35. Sean Butterworth November 4, 2013 at 4:25 am

Having grown up in the South African province of Kwazulu Natal, where Avo trees literally grow wild, I can confirm they need a LOT of space. Allow at least 20 feet between trees. I can tell you, too, that the fruit of an ‘uninfluenced’ Avo tree is just as good as, if not better than, store bought.

36. dusty8 November 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I live in northern AZ. it gets down in the 20s sometimes in the winter so I know I will have to keep my avocado inside in the winter, but will it be OK in the summer. It is pretty dry and sometimes gets as high as 110o. Will the high heat hurt my tree? It is now about 6 or 7 in. tall and I haven’t yet put it in soil.

37. kristisue October 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

My friend lives in North Western PA. She started pushing down the pit in a pot (indoors in a kitchen, by a huge window. Each time she eats an avocado, she plants another. They are growing like crazy (six of them) in the pot! It was easy as pie for her. I want to try it, but it’s discouraging to see how big the avocado trees actually get,certainly nothing you could keep inside. Does anyone know how big the tree has to get to bare fruit (if it will)?

38. Pamela Novelli October 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm

thanks for the information loved it especially the difference between home grown and commercial avocados that is when I made my choice to opt out lol ;)

39. BJEvS October 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I live in a small apartment which only gets direct sunlight from 7am to maybe 11am. And much of that time it is only the balcony patio, not reaching the glass door.

Can\\\’t use the patio in the winter. So, is indirect sunlight OK to germinate the seed, and grow the tree? Not able to invest in grow light fluorescent tubes and fixtures.

I also read where some folks say just put the seed in a lightly compacted potting soil, 2 inches deep to begin the process of growing a tree. This would indicate that direct sunlight is not needed to germinate the seed. Is it your opinion this method is just as successful as the water/toothpicks method?

Thanks for any feedback.

40. rwong October 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for the step by step detailed insstructions. For most posters, take heart, it took 8 years for the avocado tree to bear fruit…3, the next year 6, this year probably 50! Take heart, mother nature has a different plan for each one you plant. I do have a question, do you wait for the fruit to grow to a certain texture, color or size before picking and allowing them to mature to ediable form by storing a certain way or heating slightly? On the vine, maturing them on the vine only does not work…so the final steps are really overdue.

41. Jessicasplants October 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I planted a young avocado tree in a small terra-cotta pot that I have sprouted from seed at the beginning of the summer.The plant has not grown at all since planting, and has no new leaves either. I live in Illinois, so the pot is inside now during the cooler fall season with not much opportunity for light. What can I do?

42. oscarsanchezbarba September 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Does anyone know, if avocados grown on Pots can give fruti, if they are well taken care of.
    I live n Guadalajara mexico so the wheater is nice all year round, and I have 4 avocados Growing in big pot or containers, they are around 3 mts high, and keep growing.
    Im waiting to see if they will bloom anybody has an exprience like this?

43. keszter September 18, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Hello, I have been pampering an avocado tree since February. It is now potted in soil and has been growing nicely on our terrace. The weather is now getting cold and wintery in Hungary so I brought it in and there’s still enough sunshine really through the window. It now has two smaller branches as well. However, the leaves have been growing sort of downwards and twirley. Should I be worried about the leaves? Thanks a lot! e

44. Matthew Ryan September 16, 2013 at 3:49 pm

In comparison, named cultivars can produce fruit in 3-4 years, instead of 10.

45. Matthew Ryan September 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Better to buy a plant from a nursery than grow from seed, unless you’re happy to wait 10 years for fruit.

46. Bennett September 6, 2013 at 11:27 am

After travelling from HK, an avocado occupationally brought into China. Eating the flesh and then I planted the seed in a pot. Amazingly it was growing eventually. I move it into the soil in the yard. Without any special care, the tree now 7 meters high and produces a lot of fruits. It was taken 6 years to get fruiting. The quality of the fruits are excellent. This happened in South China. Everybody can plant avocado from a seed. It is true.

47. avo-man August 21, 2013 at 4:00 am

Well I have planted several avocado trees and they all produced fruit of good quality. It took more than 10 years to start producing fruit, currently we have one that is in its second year of fruiting and we got more than 20 beautiful avocados. We’re in Melbourne Australia, not a very warm place in winter!!! BTW I planted it straight into the soil without much ceremony.

48. Oneka Cheong July 31, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Even if they don\\\’t bear fruits you can still make Herbal tea with the leaves, it\\\’s good for the skin.

49. Ryan Privee July 30, 2013 at 7:11 am

I’ve grown avocados from seed, they make nice indoor (or outdoor plants if you live in mild climates like I do) but don’t expect to get any viable fruit…I’ve never had any fruit and like the article says, even if they did bear fruit, it wouldn’t be like the store bought version…so just grow them because they’re easy to grow and ornamental “tropical” looking.

50. mantra July 29, 2013 at 11:59 am

Well, seeding avocado tree – as well as one of other fruit, are best for its healthy strong root and trunk plus less sensitive to many infections. Though, its fruits tend to be mostly de-formulated in taste and quality. If you would like to have the fruit that tastes as good as commercial one then you will need to combine grafting and or budding techniques on stem of that seeding trunk. A result would be healthy rooting system and healthy strong trunk plus good taste of fruit.

51. ghostfish July 29, 2013 at 12:04 am

Nice instructions! The tips and ‘what to expect’s are very helpful. The first time I tried, the instructions I used only said to stick in toothpicks and soak it; the avocado didn’t sprout and went oldy. Hopefully this time will be better!

52. Jason Braeburn July 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm

It’s true you’ll get quite a nice variety of trees when planting these from seed. Some will produce slow, some fast, some poorly, but sometimes even better! That’s how the commercial hybrids came into existence in the first place – by selection – so plant a few! :)

53. svanessa June 26, 2013 at 9:43 am

What they don’t tell you is that IF your seedling ever produces fruit you are looking at 10+ years before that happens. It’s best to graft your seedling after a few years
    with known scion in the Spring so you get fruit. Grafting is not hard, lots of You Tube videos on how to do it. You just need to find someone with a fruiting tree willing to give you some cuttings to play with.

54. LoRi NelSon June 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Question? When the sprout starts to come out from the top of the avacado seed it says when the sprout/stem is 6-7 inches to cut 3 inches off, Do you have to?

55. george zaw lin aung June 24, 2013 at 4:59 am

very knowledgeable.I’ve just planted 500 avocado trees last week.

56. V.Dodge June 22, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I have two avocado plants,from pits, with different leaves, one has long oval leaves and is about 3 years old, the other has smaller leaves slightly oval and is about 2 years old. What is the difference if any and I would like to plant them in the ground. should I plant them together? your site has been helpful, also other readers comments.

57. inkandmusic June 9, 2013 at 11:30 pm

My avocado sapling is growing great but about a week ago, I noticed it smelled weird and so I took it out to check and it had mold on it, I washed it off and changed the water but I would like to know why it started growing mold? It never had any bugs on it either I checked.

58. rhdiaz02 May 29, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Can you leave any pictures of pinching the leaves? I am new to gardening. So, this would be helpful.

Thank you!

59. beltane May 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Thank you for this information. I have an Avocado tree started from a pit 4 or 5 years ago. I didn’t know I should have been pinching leaves back all this time so why it is about 3 1/2-4 feet tall but very thin and has leaves down a good portion of the stem. Is it to late to get this one bushier if I start pinching it leaves now?

60. Alex Seredin May 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

My avocado is just beautiful, it grows and grows, it is about 25 feet tall now, but fruit? Forget it

61. margifish May 20, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Another site that covered growing avocado trees from the pits recommended wrapping the bottom of the glass/jar in an opaque material (like aluminum foil) to better simulate the seed’s growing environment before you plant it. My pit has finally sprouted the taproot, but no sprout up top yet. Is wrapping the bottom of the glass a good idea? I think the intent was to help the top sprout emerge? Or should I just leave it alone for now and keep changing the water and let it do its own thing, and the top will sprout given enough time and patience?

62. gardenbear May 17, 2013 at 2:05 am

Christinearmijo that is a good question. There is a good chance that the flower which in turn produced the seed was cross pollinated, in which case the tree you grow would be a hybrid of the variety of the tree on which it grew and the tree that produced the pollen.
    Avocado growers usually plant more than one variety to allow for cross pollination. In order to get the exact same variety you could grow from a cutting from the parent tree.

63. christinearmijo May 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

But if the avocado seed came from a mature avocado tree that was not itself commercial, just a mature tree in a backyard and that parent tree produced LOADS of delicious avocados, will the seed grow into a tree that produces the same delicious avocados?

64. copper194 April 29, 2013 at 9:46 pm

i am growing an avocado tree and I soaked the seed in water til it split and then I planted it. It is about 18 inches tall and is starting to get leaves.

65. abigale April 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Looked alot on avacado tree than thought can make gwakamoli and other maybe will buy

66. chase123 April 19, 2013 at 12:15 am

that is a lot of good info now i have a huge & pretty it saves youa lot $$$$$$$$$$ money !!!!!!!!!!!!!

67. randall smith April 15, 2013 at 1:02 pm

i have four small shoots about 12inches tall.you say that all plants dont grow fruit so how do i tell if the ones growing will produce fruit ?

68. s.shaffizan April 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

Good sharing stuff

69. Madar Smith March 24, 2013 at 5:05 am

My mother used to have a tree that never bore fruit; but grew so well inside…

70. Surferess March 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

It should be noted that a tree grown like this rarely bears fruit. To get avocados one must graft the tree.

71. LauYan March 20, 2013 at 2:15 pm

It’s a big big tree,..

72. Teri Manley March 16, 2013 at 8:43 pm

my tree is about three feet tall but it only has three leaves on top it grows new ones but they drop off. any ideas?

73. Elaine Tate March 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

OMG! I just shared how to grow an avocado tree . therefore i just learned something new at 53 years old!!!!!!

74. Susan Campbell March 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Years ago, I used to grow these all the time. Now, they never make roots, so I have assumed these highly commercialized varieties just won\\\’t. Am I wrong? Or should I try organic avocados for better luck? I really enjoyed these plants and would like to grow them again.

75. gregoryh February 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm

You really have to keep on top of the water level if you use this method. However, if instead you use corks on the toothpicks, or use screws through corks and then into the seed, you can float the seed in a container of water and be much less attentive to the water level.

76. Kaluwe February 2, 2013 at 6:09 am

You are great, I got what I just needed Thank you

77. geno January 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Hi everyone: One really easy to grow is a tangerine,I have had(never good with verbs) one for about 18 yrs,this small tree do great indoors.
    I used to take it outside in summer months after all is a citric.I started it from a tangerine( I ate) …. just put the seed in a small pot and keep it moist and near or in a window. thats all.Super easy super cheap!
    Gina.

78. Marcia Grimes January 27, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Thank you for all your information…It was clear and to the point. It will be easy to follow. I can hardly wait to start this project. I have never been successful at growing this tree, but with your instructions, I do not think I can go wrong. Thank you.

79. misslulu January 22, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hi, I’m trying to grow an avacado tree and it has three leaves, is about 16 inches tall, but every time the three new leaves come out the three below turn brown and fall off.The soil is damp and I’m very careful not to overwater,its in a southern window wich is sunny from about 10am to 4pm. I read what you said about cutting the stem down to three inches, but I am afraid it will die HELP

80. John Revo Puno January 10, 2013 at 11:47 am

I’ve tried growing avocado exactly the same way when I was a kid. I remember it’s a school project back then. :)

I’ve seen a short article about avocado that it’s dangerous to animals. Just want to share it here: http://www.fruitlush.com/avocado-fun-fact.html.

81. Justine Stojowski December 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm

This is awesome…going to get an avocado today and plant the seed. LOVE IT!

82. geno September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am

First plant I grew in New York>avocado< I planted a pit in dirt ,really easy thing to do ,I have it for 15 years until it die…..avocado trees like sun/light and water twice a week ,I planted tangerine seeds as well I still have the tree is about 16/17 yrs old…..put it out(make it happy) during spring ,summer,bring it back inside in sept/oct .

83. kiro September 17, 2012 at 6:03 am

Holy cow, this is complicated.

I simply dropped four cleaned pits horizontally into the soil and made sure it’s always moist. Maybe it’s a good idea not to bury them too deep, I just had them covered very lightly. So far, all 4 pits have grown by waiting for 3 or 4 weeks. To aid with keeping the soil moist at all times, I fill a bottle with water and then shove it upside down into the soil. This will slowly but permenently water your seeds. Summer temps were reaching 35°C/95°F, we’ll see how they do during the winter…

Pic: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2732794/20120917_115037.jpg

84. M.M.RATHOD September 15, 2012 at 4:37 am

hi ,, this is wellspan agrotech agribusiness company,, we will appreciate the fruit of avacado in front of mango. specially me MR. M.M.RATHOD AS HEAD OF THE COMPANY ,I will make the dream success of avocado in my state of Gujarat..

85. gibbogirl September 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

up to what temperatures can they stand? Texas gets pretty hot!

86. David David August 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Definitely going to try this. Anybody knows about other stuff that will grow from the pit ?

87. Grimoire13 August 7, 2012 at 3:24 am

Thanks for the tip, Mudjunky… I have done the toothpick trick with great success before. But I am open to using your way, even though it sort of cuts out the visual if being able to watch the taproot come to life. Now, maybe you would enjoy my tip for you… the word I believe you were searching for is ‘rigmarole’. Your example is not unique to you; it is very often mispronounced and almost always misspelled.
    Thanks again for the planting tips.

88. Gardenbear July 26, 2012 at 5:41 am

Great article, avocado trees are such beautiful plants, even if they don’t make fruit it is worth it to grow them. Top Tropical s has a web page on their site that lists varieties and basic information on growing avocados. It is http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/fruit/varieties_avocado.htm

89. ljhtg June 27, 2012 at 8:56 am

This was very popular when I was growing up. I remember ads in magazines encouraging doing this and also to nip the top to encourage a bushier plant.
    I wrap them in wet paper and put them in a jar (with lid) under to sink to get started.

90. pepperh June 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I never had any luck with the toothpick trick. What worked for me was half sinking one in a styro cup of saturated clean kitty litter and putting that into a closed mason jar. Now that I live in a semi-tropical climate, just throwing them on the ground works, too.

91. Alyssa Alimurung Alyssa Alimurung June 26, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Can’t wait to grow my own avocado tree!

92. danifagan June 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

We did this, and the tree’s doing brilliantly, although my gardener told me that you cant grow fruiting avocado trees from pits, they have to be a certain type of pit to grow…we shall see! Beautiful tree none the less

93. Mudjunky June 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Huh?! I just took the pit and jammed it in some soil i had on the window sill and i have an overgrown plant. It resides outside because it’s to big for the kitchen at this point. But you go ahaed with all that riggamorrow.

94. aflores June 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Avocados are big trees… Find them a large place so they can fully grow!

95. jkgreen June 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to do this and now this how-to makes it easy.

96. Andrew Michler Andrew Michler June 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

If Amory Lovins can grow bananas in Colorado, I can grow avocados.

97. Diane Pham Diane Pham June 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm

My friend actually found a teeny tiny tree already blooming inside of an avocado he bought (and ate). He planted it, and now the tree is about 6 inches tall!

Definitely going to try this.

98. Marc Carter Marc Carter June 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I’ve totally done this. It’s amazing to watch it grow.

99. Yuka Yoneda Yuka Yoneda June 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I’m gonna go buy a bunch of avocados and try this today!