Gallery: Interactive ‘Almost Extinct Calendar’ Raises Awareness of Enda...

The Almost Extinct Calendar combines great simple design with an assertive environmental reminder.
The Almost Extinct Calendar combines great simple design with an assertive environmental reminder.

The Almost Extinct Calendar combines great simple design with an assertive environmental reminder. Each day is marked with an image of a different endangered animal, making it impossible to avoid the significance behind the design. Not only is it an educational tool to help teach about endangered species, but it’s also a unique spin on your traditional calendar. The calendar, winner of a 2011 D&AD Award, was created for the BBC Wildlife Fund by the London based firm The Chase.

The interactive online calendar allows you to click on each animal to learn more about them. The Chase has kept the message and format clean and direct using straightforward black, white, and big bold red crosses to reinforce the environmental campaign. It’s not all bleak though: as well as highlighting the inevitable threat these species face, the site also encourages donations in order to help their protection.

Each animal has only a few sentences about its species and plight, but the powerful message comes through. Even if you were unable to read, the message would be clear: “Every day, hundreds of endangered species get closer to extinction. By working together, we can help save them.”

+ Almost Extinct Calendar


or your inhabitat account below


  1. caeman June 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm

    Who will think of the Pygmy Marmoset?!

  2. lazyreader June 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm

    Just think of the ugly people we put on our endangered calender

  3. caeman June 29, 2011 at 11:54 am

    Extinction is just another part of the circle of life, be it human-induced or other factors. Species appear and disappear, and have been doing so long before man appeared, and continued doing so when we’re gone.

  4. lazyreader June 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

    You wanna know what all these animals have in common. (Besides the butterfly). There all vertebrates and they all have a cute face. And that’s enough, it’s easy to raise money to save a bald eagle, their majestic and beautiful. It’s not so easy to save a Condor, one of the ugliest birds in the world. Whose to say ugly animals don’t fill a important ecological role. Conservation groups sell stuffed animals of adorable animals but it’s hard to sell primitive creatures to kids. 90 percent of all life on Earth is microbial, you may cause an extinction every time you wash your hands. Now of that less than 10 percent that are multi-cellular, only a fraction are actually animals. The rest being plants and fungi. And of those animals, 97 percent of that consists of primitive invertebrates like arthropods, molluscs, Cnidarian, sponges, worms, etc. Now were down to the remaining 3 percent that are vertebrates (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals). How many fish do you consider cute besides Nemo? Or frogs or lizards or birds? You’ve just narrowed down life on Earth to a fraction and given high priority to fashionable animals with no regards to the overwhelming mass of creatures that are just as important to nature if not more important.

get the free Inhabitat newsletter

Submit this form
popular today
all time
most commented
more popular stories >
more popular stories >
more popular stories >
Federated Media Publishing - Home