6 Hot Ways to Stay Cool in NYC
PLAN AN INDOOR PICNIC
Skip lunch at your desk and head to one of the city’s many public atriums for an afternoon chow down with friends or co-workers. New York is home to dozens of brilliantly designed (and air-conditioned) indoor spaces like the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center that are completely free and open for lingering, enjoying the ambiance or pulling up a table and chair to take a load off. If you’re lucky you can even catch a free live music show!
GO GROCERY SHOPPING
Escape to the aisles of the frozen food section and turn your weekly food shopping into a cooling haven. Harlem’s Fairway Market offers a walk-in cold room stocked with frozen meats and beer — a perfect solution for beating the heat, but don’t overstay your welcome inside. Folks might get suspicious.
PLAY MARCO POLO
You don’t need a pool to play Marco Polo. Gather the kids, a few water guns and head to the park for summertime play. Here’s how the game works: Blindfold one person who will be the “searcher” and arm them with a water gun. As the searcher counts to 10, the other players move around silently. When the searcher calls “Marco”, the other players respond “Polo”. Once the searcher shoots a player with water, that player then becomes the new Marco. Try spicing things up by playing with two “Marcos” and a few extra water guns.
GO FOR A SWIM
New York is full of public and private pools perfect for taking a dip all day long. Toss on your swimsuit and head to your nearest neighborhood swimming pool to cool off and engage in some friendly water activities with the locals. You can even master your skills with free swimming lessons for a summer full of wet and wild fun.
Cool off quickly from the inside out with a super cool sweet treat. Turn your favorite fresh fruit juices into tasty ice cube desserts or ditch the high fructose corn syrup and dyes with a healthy recipe for homemade popsicles you can make with the kids.
EXPLORE THE LIBRARY
The library is the perfect hideaway for cooling down and exploring the city. Discover the city in a way you never have before in the comfort of coolness, old history books, black and white videos, free classes and private study rooms. New York Public Libraries are the go-to source whether you need a cool and quiet place to study or help writing a business plan.
- + POOL and Google Drive Unveil New App That Shows New Yorkers the Quality of Their Water
- Could the world’s first floating, water-filtering pool be coming to a neighborhood near you?
- Governors Island recycled adventure playground meets fundraising goal to support ‘free play’ for NYC kids
- The Wildlife Conservation Film Festival Brings a Celebration of Animals and Biodiversity to NYC
- The Floating Pool Lady: An Old Barge Transformed into a Buoyant Swimming Pool in The Bronx
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30