The original structure was originally built in 1895 as acoach house for an aristocrat living on the property located in Utrecht, the Netherlands. In 1955, the owners built another temporary structure between the residence and the coach house. This building remained on the property for 57 years, before it was demolished by the new owner, architect Rolf Bruggink, in 2011. Bruggink recovered the waste materials from the demolished outbuilding and created a new sculptural structure within the renovated coach house.
Related: Zecc Architecten and BYTR Architects Convert Rustic 1760 Coach House into Spacious Breukelen House
Designed in collaboration between Bruggink, his partner Niek Wagemans and Bruggink’s girlfriend Yffi van den Berg, the House of Rolf features a traditional brick shell with five trusses supporting the roof. Its structural configuration dictated the layout of the house and divided the space into three zones, each housing two bays. The first zone was left empty, the middle zone features the freestanding wooden structurebuilt from reclaimed materials, with the kitchen, bedroom, toilet, shower, bath and office located in the second section of this space. Another wooden structure, this time attached to the shell of the house, is located in the third zone. All the furnishings in the house were either created from re-used materials or designed by renowned Dutch designers.
+ Studio Ralf